Please help with a new ABGP Pump and sand filter

Aug 12, 2008
I am pulling my hair out with what to buy. I presently have a Lomart Ultra Promega 1hp pump and Spectra 3 17" sand filter. This equipment is starting to give me little problems here and there so I have decided to replace all the equipment and use my old pump as a back up. The pool is a 21' Lomart pool. I like the promega pump because it has a built in timer which is nice, most of the pumps I am looking at, do not offer that feature. I am looking for a complete new system and I would like the best I can get. Looking to spend $400>$600, I can go higher if something is highly recommended. I need a sand filter and new pump. What would be the best combo for an ABG 21' ?? I also need the pump to have a three prong locking type plug. Thanks for any help with this.

GreatCanadian said:
Someone will be along soon I'm sure with specific recommendations, but to start, I would recommend you most definitely get a 2-speed pump.
When I do a search for pool pumps, most of all the online stores only show 5 pumps for an ABGP and most are only 1 speed. I would like to get a 2 speed pump. How does a 2 speed pump differ from a single speed. I have never used one, so I don't know much about them. Thanks for the reply.

I don't have a 2-speed, but just from reading comments here, I will have one in the future. The main benefit being that when run on the low setting you get half the pumping power for a lot less than half the cost (electricity cost I'm talking about). Pump does not always need to be on high.

linen said:
Sand filter recommendation: minimum 2.1 sq. ft. such as the pentair SD60 or the hayward S210T

Pump recommendation: 3/4 to 1 hp 2-speed pump such as the pentair dynamo or the hayward matrix
Thanks for the post. I have looked at both of these quite a few times. My question is, do you know if these will have the three prong twist lock plug?? Is that a common plug?

Most come of these come with the standard 3 prong plug (or no cord)...but a twist plug cord is easy to add on when you get the pump. You may have to call the place you are going to purchase from to see what is included with the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.