Natural Swimming Pools (NSPs)

Having not heard anything, but seeing on the Minneapolis park board website that construction was supposed to start this spring, I took a trip down there at lunch today. I have never been to this park and I was expecting the construction to be obvious...it wasn't. From google maps, I located where the old pool was, but at that site it was just an open field with the old pool filled in (I think that happened at least last year maybe before judging from the site). There were no other obvious signs of action. I then drove to the other end of the park and looked noticed they had buliten board up with the propossed plan (drawing) on it. Looking at that and then walking into the park, I realized nothing has been done on the pool yet. Here is a picture looking east at the future pool site from right where the north corner of the Aquatic Building will be located(marked B in this pdf, up is north).

[attachment=0:32tfa0bj]NSP_site.jpg[/attachment:32tfa0bj]

Looks very natural doesn't it :mrgreen:

Attachments

• NSP_site.jpg
    NSP_site.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 114
Ben at The PoolForum wrote this post that has links to studies of water quality in NSPs. The first of those links said the following:

Amounts of P. aeruginosa exceeding the limits were detected in almost every natural swimming pool, in some pools on a regular basis...
:
Apparently P. aeruginosa will not disappear from a natural swimming pool once it oc- curs/arises and this establishes an enormous surveillance problem. In this context epidemiologic data are crucial to derive whether the concentration of P. aeruginosa is pathogenic.
:
The fact is remarkable that P. aeruginosa is often de- tected in natural swimming pools even though the bathing season hasn’t started. Some results lead to the idea, that P. aeruginosa derives from the soil filter during processing.

while the second of those links showed high rates of violation of standards for Pseudomonas aeruginosa (exceeded in 27-28% of measured samples in 43% of pools), but also of Legionella found in 3 out of 4 samples for an indoor pool. The third of those links said the following:

The results showed a significant correlation of microorganisms and water temperature and, as a consequence, of the number of bathers in the water and the time bathers spent in the water. In the children’s area (flat water) the concentration of indicator microorganisms rose significantly to much steeper levels with increasing numbers of visitors than in deeper water.

The mere presence of bacteria exceeding limits does not mean there will be associated disease, but the risk becomes higher.

I am interested to see how the project the OP was undertaking turned out. The other thread shows the pool was installed and filled last year but there haven't been any updates since.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.