Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction/Vacuum trouble. Please help!?

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction/Vacuum trouble. Please help!?

Problem: not enough suction to work vacuum

Pool: 10,000 Gal., inground, w/Sand filter, Nature 2 Express cartridge and automatic chlorinator. No debris clogging air vent in pump, impeller moves freely.

The pressure on the filter doesn't want to go below 15, where last year it went down to 12 after backwashing & rinsing.
    Last year, when I would set the valve for full strength suction, it would suck so hard I was afraid to put my hand near it, and it vacuumed very well.

Also, when I first turn on the filter, some water leaks out the top of it, but then it stops.

What else can I check or do before I have to call a repair guy???

Thank you!!!!
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Backwash...?? seems like there is too much crud in the filter..

my 2 cents..
    16,000 G in ground Gunnite (plastered) with attached Spa, Gemini 3 NG Heater, Sta-rite cartridge filter, Aquabot Mark V, TF test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Saraiks has got the right idea but it sorta' sounds like you may have already backwashed. If not, try that first.

Lack of suction at the vacuum can be caused by a blockage on the suction side of your pump....that normally results in a low reading on your pressure guage.

Likewise it can be caused by a blockage on the pressure side of your pump and that will normally result in an increase in pressure on your guage.

So, if your pressure is too high, check the water flow from the pump back intop the pool. That includes the filter and anything else attached to the system after the pump. Perhaps you can find the source of the restriction by systematically checking each item.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I have backwashed repeatedly, followed by rinsing. Pressure comes back down to 15, where it used to come down to 12.

Could it be because I need a new Nature2 cartridge? I've ordered one & I'm waiting for delivery.

If it's the automatic chlorinator I'm not sure how to clean that. (We bought the house with the pool already here, & this is only our second season with it.)

I appreciate the feedback, really! Thanks a million!
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Could it be because I need a new Nature2 cartridge? I've ordered one & I'm waiting for delivery.
    Remove the cartridge from the housing and run the system without it....you won't hurt a thing.

BTW, you'll find very few folks on this forum that see the value in nature2 cartridges. Generally, it is not very effective and you could spend your money on better things for your pool. I know you didn't ask for that advice but search "Nature2" on this forum and you'll see what others say.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Nature2 cartridge

Dave, I believe you about the Nature 2 Cartridge. I only reordered a new cartridge because it was the easiest thing to do. I wouldn't know how to take it off and close off where it connects. So this season I'll have another cartridge in there. Maybe in the fall, or next summer I'll tackle ditching it.

Thanks for the tip, though!

7. Back To Top    #7

New finding....

I checked and lubed the o-ring yesterday, & it's clear.

Ok, I'm don't know the terminology, so please bear with me.

Under the skimmer basket there's a hole and there's a valve. Last year, I would put the valve in the vertical position when I wanted to vacuum. I noticed when I've tried that, the suction gets less (& I thought maybe I remembered it backwards). So today I tried putting it in the vertical position again, & when I went over to look at the filter, the pressure was bobbing up & down between zero & 5, and there was air in the basket where the pump is, and lots of air going into the pool through the return jets.

I don't know what it means, but I'm hoping someone out there will!

Thank you so much!

8. Back To Top    #8

Problem solved!!!!!

The cap that goes over the holes under the skimmer basket was put on backwards!!!!

Thank you for trying to help!