New pool

Jul 20, 2012
Northern NJ
Hi all...We just installed a 24' by 52" deep above ground pool a week and a half ago. I am going to try the bbb method as our last pool had some water quality issues after a few years, I am thinking not enough FC in comparision to what the CYA levels must have been.

Using the pool calculator and taking into account the amount of dichlor I previously added I put enough stabilizer in a sock to bring the pool up to 40ppm cya. It hasn't been a week yet and from what I have read it could take that long to fully show in tests. Here are my numbers. Any suggestions?

FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.6 -- dropped to 7.0 after adding stabilizer used Borax to bring back up
TA 120 -- high? this is the second test I ran after getting my taylor 2006 kit. First was 100...
CYA 30

Thanks to this wonderful site I am fairly confident I can keep this pool sparkling!

pebbles said:
Could the Borax increase the TA that much? So in hindsight, I should have just aerated until the PH recovered from the Stabilizer drop? I am learning so much here. :-D

Borax raises pH, but has a much lesser effect on TA. Borax is most effective when TA is maintained in the proper range. Pool School advises that the best method is to get TA adjusted properly, most often via the pH down followed by aeration method, and then proceed with adding Borates to your water.

You should not see a big pH drop from stabilizer, if by stabilizer you are referring to CYA. It is a very mild acid, so not much pH swing.

Have you started playing with the the poolcalculator yet?

Set the volume at the top and toward the bottom you can see how different chemicals will affect your levels ... although the affect on pH is a little more complicated than the calculator at the bottom takes into account.

Borax does not have much affect on the TA ... how much borax did you use?

@elwood ... at least according to the calculator, the CYA actually does affect the pH. For example, adding enough to go from 0 to 40ppm in this pool could reduce the pH by 0.74

pebbles said:
Hi all...We just installed a 24' by 52" deep above ground pool a week and a half ago. I am going to try the bbb method as our last pool had some water quality issues after a few years, I am thinking not enough FC in comparision to what the CYA levels must have been.

Using the pool calculator and taking into account the amount of dichlor I previously added I put enough stabilizer in a sock to bring the pool up to 40ppm cya. It hasn't been a week yet and from what I have read it could take that long to fully show in tests. Here are my numbers. Any suggestions?

FC 6.5 Assume the CYA of 40 is 'there' and keep FC between 3 and 7 and never below 3.
CC 0
PH 7.6 -- dropped to 7.0 after adding stabilizer used Borax to bring back up
TA 120 -- high? this is the second test I ran after getting my taylor 2006 kit. First was 100...
Don't worry about the TA being 100 or 120. Each time your pH hits 7.8, lower it back to 7.2. Over time the TA will come down on its own.
CYA 30
What is CH#? Even tho low to no CH is fine for vinyl, too high CH could be a problem.

Thanks to this wonderful site I am fairly confident I can keep this pool sparkling!
Nice work :goodjob: and welcome to the forum :wave:

jblizzle said:
Have you started playing with the the poolcalculator yet?

Set the volume at the top and toward the bottom you can see how different chemicals will affect your levels ... although the affect on pH is a little more complicated than the calculator at the bottom takes into account.

Borax does not have much affect on the TA ... how much borax did you use?

@elwood ... at least according to the calculator, the CYA actually does affect the pH. For example, adding enough to go from 0 to 40ppm in this pool could reduce the pH by 0.74

Good to know on CYA impact on pH. When adjusting my CYA, I had a new finish, so likely did not see the pH drop, even though it happened.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.