How to level out pool steps????

I will definitely look into this. Thanks to all. If/when I find out height of spacer, I will post for others to see.

BTW--WorBry--no intent of being rude. I think my finger slipped off shift key trying to CAP the "F" in French. As I think about it, it's kinda funny--I couldn't do that if I tried. Thanks for your help.

Received email from company that provides the Step Cup Spacer set-up, here is what they sent for anyone interested:

"The step cup and the spacer are design to fit with the walkway, opera and
fiesta step for a dish bottom pool.

It's up to you if you want to try it on your step for flat bottom pool.
There is no return, no exchange or nor refund on all parts.
The price for one spacer is $7.00 + 25.00 shipping & handling.
As for the step cup the price is $53.00 for pack of 4 and 67.00 for pack of
6 shipping included."

I phoned Innovaplas today before seeing your post, but they pretty much confirmed the information you received. A local pool store here does sell them for $10 a piece, but that's still quite pricey.

For largish steps like mine, without a cut-away mid-section, they recommend six, with maybe two spacers at the front.

Their main distributor in the US is Pool Corp who supply INYO Pools and Leslies. Don't know what the mark up would be there.

I asked about the stepper height; it adds just 2" and yes it is expected that the cup will flatten out and hold under suction, so you'd probably get around 3.5" lift from the combo.

I could live with the 2" height, would get me most of where I need to be. I too, thought them to be pricey, but i guess cheaper than buying a new set of stairs, and trying to sell these on ebay/craigslist.

thanks for all your help. i guess i need to decide what to do.

Still dealing with this issue. Still no cost effective way to solve the un-evenness short of a 3" pvc pipe cut to length, filled with river rock, and zip tied to bottom of step.
I would love a nicer solution, as I can't keep algea from growing inside of pipe.
Help!!!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why not seal the ends of the pipe, if you haven't done already? There must surely be some sort of end-stop plug for 3" pipe?

That said, I'd agree, a bit of pipe is not really the ideal. Some kind of cushioned support would be better. Maybe strips of thick, heavy duty vinyl/silicone/neoprene rubber sheet/mat glued (not sure which - vinyl repair glue, silicone adhesive?) together to create a sort of ramp, but there would likely be problems with it staying put. Otherwise, some sort of sleeve that could be filled with sand - I'm thinking of something like a gym mat/pad with the foam replaced by sand; of course it would need to be seal-able - otherwise, a heavy duty inflatable or one/couple of those pool cover weight bags if you could find one of suitable dimensions - again, not sure how durable they are.

I'm likewise looking for a better alternative to the vinyl bath mats (three) that I have under my steps. With the density and little suction cups underneath, they do at least stay put, but the patterned, pitted top surface makes them a magnet for settled crud and algae. I've now taken to sticking the vacuum hose round the back of the steps for a few hours every day or so, which seems to help the circulation, but it's a bit of a pain hooking up the hose/skimmer suction plate so frequently - ideal would be a second (minor) return behind or just to the side of the steps - maybe next year.

Incidentally, I did have a look again at the Innovaplas suction feet - they come as standard with the latest models. Granted the one I saw in a showroom here was in an empty pool, but I have to say that the suction feet did look a bit flimsy and in order to retrofit them to an earlier/different model of step there needs to be enough width on the step base flange to drill a 1/4" hole - I can imagine that over a period of time, with movement, the plug-neck of the suction cup might sever. So, great idea, but I don't think very durable.

Yeah, I also came across this suction cup for pool ladders:

http://www.epools.com.au/Ladder-Suction ... medium=cpc

Can only see Australian suppliers though. It's intended to fit into 1 1/2" (30mm) stainless steel ladder tube, but I guess it could be adapted as step feet if PVC pipe could be vertically attached to the steps. Not possible with my steps as the molded base flange would get in the way.

Had a look at the installation instructions for the Blue Wave steps that Deweypip has and it appears that the base support (on both sides of the step) is a separate piece that has to be attached (and secured with strip ties). If those supports are hollow and wide enough, feasibly one could drill a hole and glue in a bit of 1 1/2" pipe or maybe fit the suction cup directly in the hole.

That said, one drawback of attaching a support to the step base itself is that it will be prone to chafe the liner as the steps move, unless they can be absolutely locked down and/or there is some 'give' in the support attachment to allow for mobility....the loosely fitting Innovaplas suction cups supposedly allow for that.

Still think some sort of thick under-pad that stays put would be best in this case. But where to find?

Looks quite solid, and a lot easier to manage circulation/cleaning wise.

Just wondering, is the base of that 'fin-like' wall support at the back of the step also pivoting or raised/sloped in some way to clear the pool floor edge cove?

The fin like support screws onto the back of the bottom step. It pivots a little-not a great deal.
Seems like you can lift it some to get under it and clean it with a rag or something, but I don't think a vaccum type pool cleaner. I put a mat under the bottom step, and just noticed some dirt collecting near it.
I plan to vaccum as close as possible, and use a brush or rag under bottom step/fin like support.

Ah, yes, I can see from the 'hover-over' enlargement of the picture how it fixes. Seems inevitable that you are going to get a little crud settling around the plate at the back, as the support fin will tend to act like a baffle. I'd just flush it out with a jet from a water hose every now and then, maybe in conjunction with one of those corner/step brush heads to vacuum up the loosened dirt:

http://www.amazon.com/HydroTools-Swimmi ... B00B5HGH2M

I made an angled hose 'wand' from a length of 1/2" pvc pipe so that I could direct a jet into the lower holes of my steps without having to dive down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.