Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is a Polaris pb4-60 just a newer model number for the pb4?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is a Polaris pb4-60 just a newer model number for the pb4?

My pool is 15 years old, and most of my equipment is the same age. I have a Polaris booster pump that is a PB4, and the bearings have gone bad in it. The motor whines, or more accurately described as SCREAMS, when running and my vacuum won't climb the walls or even the slope to the shallow end of the pool. I need to replace the motor, but when looking online I see mostly PB4-60 model numbers available for purchase. I'm looking for a rebuilt motor to replace the motor in the PB4, but I sure don't want to buy the wrong thing when replacing it. There are a few PB4 replacement motors available, but I've noticed they are all about $30 - $40 more than the PB4-60. So, will a new or rebuilt PB4-60 motor be an exact match to replace my old screaming PB4 motor?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is a Polaris pb4-60 just a newer model number for the pb

The PB4-60 sure looks like an updated replacement for the PB4. The motor part number is the same for both pumps.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is a Polaris pb4-60 just a newer model number for the pb

Thank you, Dave! I find it funny that I can buy a new booster pump for about the same price if not cheaper than I can just the motor, but that is not unusual these days.