Stress Cracks in Gunite Pool

Jul 24, 2012
I am in the process of buying a house with an old gunite pool. I work at a pool supply store and had one of the techs come out and looked at it and he claims it will cost about as much to fix it as it would to fill it in, so my goal is to fix it. I already plan to acid wash and paint it, my question is about the best way to fix the stress crack(s) in it.

The entire top part of the pool is level, I made sure of that. The concrete patio around it has all sunk due to erosion and a lack of proper soil packing when the pool was installed (and it was built on a hill).

I can only see one minor stress crack and I think I can safely assume there aren't any below the water line (or else it wouldn't be holding water). I've looked into it and done some research about gunite pool "stitches". After talking to a concrete repair place they said with how small it is a direct injection of gunite would be enough to fix it and he mentioned something about a carbon fiber stitch of some kind that is cheaper and better. Has anybody had any experience with fixing stress cracks and what has worked for them?

I plan on posting some pictures when I officially get the house, I'm just trying to get some ideas on how to fix it now so when I do get the house I can start fixing it right away and maybe enjoy it a little this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.