Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad Bleach?

I use the 182 oz. jugs of Great Value bleach.. I went out just before dark tonight to do my nightly pour. The seal thingy that comes on top of new jugs appeared to be almost melted off when I removed the lid. I thought it was odd, I've never had one like that. When I poured it into the clear measuring cup I use I noticed the color was totally wrong, it was orange and the odor was very, very strong. I decided against using it in the pool and ended up dumping the whole jug on some pesky weeds growing along our fence line. Yeah I know... I probably shouldn't do that, but bleach is great weed killer. I opened another container and it seemed fine. Now I'm wondering if any more of the new jugs I bought yesterday are like that. I'll have to wait until morning to check them. Has anyone else ever bought any "bad" bleach?
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bad Bleach?

Is it possible it was not diluted correctly at the plant?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

I would have been interested in testing that bleach solution just to see what the concentration was.

4. Back To Top    #4

The thought of testing it hit me soon after I poured it out. Maybe it was super concentrated.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!