IS THIS ALGAE? OH NO......

Jun 17, 2012
Howard City, MI
Just got over my algae issue and the whole 4-5 day shock process. Kids were in pool tonight and I noticed several dark clumps on bottom of pool. I scooped several of them out and they are the same "asterisk/star-shaped" matter that I noticed in the pool before when the orangish film appeared on the bottom edges (shady areas).

What is it and what do I do? I took a few pics (the best I could) to try to show the matter.

My levels this afternoon at 3 p.m. were as follows:
FC = 6.5
CC = .5
pH = 7.4
TA = 140
Temp = 80 degrees

Per Pool Calc and above numbers, I added the following:
1) 6.7 oz of 6% bleach
2) 16 oz Borax

PLEEEEAAAASE HELP! Tomorrow is my birthday and I was so hoping to relax and forget my worries floating in the pool.

Attachments

• DSCF2014.JPG
    DSCF2014.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCF2019.JPG
    DSCF2019.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCF2018.JPG
    DSCF2018.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 210
That looks like some kind of small animal poo to me.

What do you use to test your water? You didn't post a CYA number, which leads me to believe you don't have a proper kit. Almost all of us "helpers" here use the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit.

Vette said:
That looks like some kind of small animal poo to me.

What do you use to test your water? You didn't post a CYA number, which leads me to believe you don't have a proper kit. Almost all of us "helpers" here use the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit.

I put the cover on every night so don't think its that. Yes I have the Taylor K-2006 but when I tested the pool this afternoon there wasn't any matter in it and I don't test the CYA every day. Should I test that and post as well?

CYA should never be tested everyday, if you have any recent results from testing it, that will suffice.

If its algae and mold, then I'll bow out and let someone else who specializes in that help you out. Algae isn't my specialty.

I tested my levels this a.m. and they are as follows:

FC = 6 (stayed the same as last night)
CC = .5 (very faint pink)
pH = 7.8

Had some of the dark clumps of "matter" in skimmer basket this morning and still some on pool floor. I did squish one of them and it was dark brown. What in the world is this stuff and how do I get rid of it? I am ready to pull the plug on this pool and send my kids to the nasty lake. :rant:

Please Help!!! :(

Oh brother!!!! I have seen A LOT of frogs in back yard lately. Yuck, it could be frog poop or eggs? Nasty Nasty Nasty! That just makes my skin crawl. Is there a way to keep frogs (or whatever it is using my pool as a toilet) out?

Will keeping my FC higher work? Is it safe to keep a steady FC of 8 or 9 constantly?

Butterfly said:
Yep, looks like critter poop. Just dip/vac/clean it out. I suggest you lower the pH to about 7.4ish. Then add a couple extra FC.

Now, get your fav libation and enjoy your pool. Happy Birthday :cheers:

Thanks so much Butterfly.........I surely will enjoy....gonna be a good day (as long as I don't see any frogs OR poop) :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.