1600gph Intex w/sand filter happiness

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I couldn't be happier with the new pump and filter.

For this 15'x 48" Intex pool, it's plenty and then some to circulate the water.

How do I know?

Well, first off the skimmer pump with a carpy spun fiber cartridge runs for over a week without needing to be cleaned. And then, it's not dirty but full of bugs and hair only. The sand filter is getting it all. Happy dance!

Secondly, the kids bumped the return eyeball so that it pointed the opposite direction. I noticed this because despite the 1000gph skimmer running after being cleaned (i.e. full force) all the leaves on the surface were traveling in the opposite direction. The 1600gph pump completely overrode the 1000gph, turned the water on itself and made everything go the wrong direction. Even the pool toys were swirling counter clockwise.

Third... water looks fabulous! Never better.

I knew 1 Intex pump wasn't good enough, which is why we ran two of them. But dang, if I'm not realizing how ineffective even the two pumps were now.

For anyone on the fence about getting a bigger pump and sand filter for an Intex... Jump off. Join the dark side with me. It's very effective!

Intex makes a fine product, but the performance of that little Intex cart filter no doubt pales in comparison to the larger aftermarket one that you have installed. Has to be much easier to run that pool now.

Come to the darkside. We have cookies.

I agree- even on a 14x42 inflatable ring, 2 intex style cartridge pump/filters couldn't keep up- and I still couldn't vacuum. Getting a big filter/pump combo at the *gulp* ..... *pool store* was one of the 2 best decisions I've made for our pools. When I set up the new 18x48 this year I didn't even consider using the pump that came with it. It's still in the shed. Never been wet or even plugged in.

My avatar image shows the condition of my water with two cartridge filters on the pool, running 24/7. One pulling from the bottom even. It worked... But I sure don't miss cleaning the cartridges every day! (still not sold on the SWG though). Haven't really had much sun in the past 10 days, or I might have taken a new image to boast with.

I was going to take the cartridge out of the skimmer pump but when I saw the bugs and no real dirt or normal gunk on the cartridge I decided to keep it. It skims along just fine with it in, and I don't think those ants would even make it to the sand filter if I let them pass through the 1000gph anyway. If the new pump is really doing 1600gph, there's no way that little one was doing 1000gph in reality.

While I respect Intex and their products I don't exactly get why they sell undersized pumps with these pools. One pump/filter can't do it well. Not the way I know it can be done (and prefer it).

Big_kid said:
Come to the darkside. We have cookies.

I agree- even on a 14x42 inflatable ring, 2 intex style cartridge pump/filters couldn't keep up- and I still couldn't vacuum. Getting a big filter/pump combo at the *gulp* ..... *pool store* was one of the 2 best decisions I've made for our pools. When I set up the new 18x48 this year I didn't even consider using the pump that came with it. It's still in the shed. Never been wet or even plugged in.

Actually I like cookies... :lol:

Are you skimming with the new filter? Do things drop to the bottom when the pump isn't running? That's my biggest fear, with the two old plum trees hovering over my pool. They're always dropping stuff.

I've vacuumed twice since installing the new filter. I used to vacuum a couple times a week, even with the good filters in the pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.