Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balance. Why the heck...

1. Back To Top    #1

Balance. Why the heck...

... are we using such a silly word for keeping the chemical parameters of swimming pool water aligned?

We can fiddle around in a pretty broad range of FC/TC, TA, pH, etc., and still have sparkly pool water. The term balance just doesn't seem right. Trust me, I've heard it used for quite a while - managed my first commercial pool in 1978 and have had my current residential pool since 1995 - but, it never seemed like quite the right way to describe properly managed pool water.

Wadda y'all think? Does balanced make sense or is there a more appropriate term?

Just a think piece and I hope I posted it out of the main stream.

Cheers!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Balance. Why the heck...

Balanced seems easier to say than "All tested parameters are within the recommended ranges based upon the given criteria."
    LOL
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

The balance in the pool chemistry is between the levels of the chemicals in the pool and what is needed to keep the water clean and safe. So while the ranges may be different for different people, depending on bather load, sanitation method, pool size, and the location, (snow belt vs. sun belt) if you're water is clear and swimmable, then you have achieved water chemistry balance.

IMHO, anyway.
    21150 gal AG round pool; sand filter, 1.5 hp pump

Better to know that you don't know and ask, than to keep silent and discover your ignorance later.

4. Back To Top    #4

Balance includes the ranges.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Derek - Your description of balanced is probably what many people expect it to be. It has so many variables in it, though, including location, that balanced for me wouldn't be the same as balanced for DURaleigh or balanced for Henry Porter or balanced for Chem Geek. Maybe that's why our resident experts ask for pool details in our signature blocks & details such as TC/FC/CC, CYA, pH, TA, CH, etc. before offering suggestions.

I think you're helping to make the argument that balanced has no universally accepted meaning.

Good comment. Thanks!
    TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

One of the common dictionary definitions of balanced is "arranged in good proportions", which strikes me as exactly what adjusting chemical levels is all about.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that balanced is the correct word. It's just that different pools are balanced with varying levels of chemical components.

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that "Balance" is an excellent word for the chemistry. There are important relationships and equilibria between different chemical species, and understanding how each affects the others is critical to maintaining good water quality.

9. Back To Top    #9

My six year old daughter gets in the pool every night and first thing she does is go under without her goggles, eyes open. She comes up, and tells me "Pool is Balanced" if her eyes don't hurt (which thanks to all of you, is pretty much every day). More accurate than strips, from what I gather. I will keep using the word!
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by crek31
    My six year old daughter gets in the pool every night and first thing she does is go under without her goggles, eyes open. She comes up, and tells me "Pool is Balanced" if her eyes don't hurt (which thanks to all of you, is pretty much every day). More accurate than strips, from what I gather. I will keep using the word!
    Boom. Game Set Match. Balanced it is.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by yeggim
    Boom. Game Set Match. Balanced it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    I think that balanced is the correct word. It's just that different pools are balanced with varying levels of chemical components.
    OK. I'm all in! Like Yeggim said, balanced it is! 257WbyMag broke the code, though - different pools are balanced with different levels - and that's why we'll always be interested in the pool characteristics (plaster/vinyl/fiberglass) & the specific levels of Cl, CYA, pH, CH, etc.

Thanks, everybody! Think piece over.

Cheers!
    TF-100 test kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

I like Jasons's use of the dictionary definition, balanced, serves a description of pool water well, given your type of pool, whether you live in a soft or hard water area, what type of sanitiser you use and also encompasses your local legislate where applicable.

Stuart
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC