Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Water

Hi all! We are fairly new pool owners. We currently have a 24'x52" AG that came with our house. This is the 2nd year that we have had it in operation. The boy next door (who is about 17 or so) said he used to swim in it when he was a kid, so I am going to say the pool is at LEAST 10 years old. I am thinking it holds 15,000 gallons. We have a 1.5 HP pump, and a 200 lb sand filter that filters at 76 GPM (we put new sand in the filter last year). All of last year and the beginning of this year, the water was PERFECT! Not until recently (4th of July weekend) did we start having problems. The water is sooo cloudy, and we are some what perfectionists, so we need to know what to do! We live in KY, and we have had a pretty dry summer with lots of sun and record breaking highs. I took a water sample to our local pool store and these are the results:

FC - 3 PPM
    CC - 3 PPM
    PH - 7.2
    TA - 100 PPM
    CH - 50 PPM
    CYA - 40 PPM

According to the pool guy, out water looks fine and all we need is clarifyer. Except, we already went that route about a week ago. We added some Natural Chemistry, Pool First Aid Clarifyer (it has no ingredients listed) that is supposed to dissolve the particles without having to vaccum. And it did seem to work for a few days, but then this morning, back to cloudy. We are just about at our wits end. Any ideas/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you and happy swimming!
    15,000, AG, Vinyl liner, Hayward-245 sand Filter (with 50 lbs pea gravel at bottom, 150 lbs sand), Hayward 1 HP Power Flo pump. Pool was inherited with the house. Have had and used for about 5 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Water

Assuming those test results are right (which is a HUGE assumption) you have too little FC, waaaaaay too much CC. Which indicates organics - algae - in your pool.

You need your own test kit.

You need to perform the shock process.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep... what Richard said ^^^

Welcome btw :~}
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you! Do you think once I complete the shock process that we will not need any type clarifyer - just shocking should clear the pool?
    15,000, AG, Vinyl liner, Hayward-245 sand Filter (with 50 lbs pea gravel at bottom, 150 lbs sand), Hayward 1 HP Power Flo pump. Pool was inherited with the house. Have had and used for about 5 years.

5. Back To Top    #5

Normally clarifier or floc is not necessary. The filter will get the dead algae. If you haven't opened the bottle, may as well take it back because we won't be telling you to add it at any point.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys!