I have the taylor 2006 testing kit, and I have been testing here at home instead of the pool store. I have had problems with high CYA, and I have used all of the testing liquids in the kit, so I took my water in to get it checked today. (I'll order replacement bottles today! LOL) It was down to 50 from 135 from a few weeks ago. YAY! He tested it twice to make sure for me. Anyway, what he found was that the phosphates were 1000. Everything else was good...Ph7.8, TA 110, CH 300, copper & iron 0. My FC was .5, but I knew it was time for shock and my automatic feeder hasn't been filled in 1 1/2 weeks. The phosaphate issue was a first, and they told me to use 4qt of PHOSfree with directions to add 1 liter at a time and to check the pressure in between. I bought the PHOSfree, and now I have read that you all suggest shocking and not to worry about the phosphates. Does it affect anything to add the PHOSfree since I already paid for it? A few days ago was the first time I have noticed a hint of green algae on one place on the pool wall. I shocked and brushed it and added polyquat. It was lightly back yesterday. I brushed it off last night and am going to shock today. We have full sun, no shade at all.
Thanks for the info about liquid bleach....I didn't drain the pool totally at one time to solve the CYA, but here in Texas it's been over 100, and I've had lots of splash out and evaporation to the point of adding water 2 times a week to keep the level at mid tile line. The liquid bleach helped keep from adding CYA, and for a few weeks I didn't add 3" tabs bc they are all triclor which has CYA. I just kept adding bleach every day or every other day as needed.
Tanks for phosphate advice!