Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: phosphates

1. Back To Top    #1

phosphates

I have the taylor 2006 testing kit, and I have been testing here at home instead of the pool store. I have had problems with high CYA, and I have used all of the testing liquids in the kit, so I took my water in to get it checked today. (I'll order replacement bottles today! LOL) It was down to 50 from 135 from a few weeks ago. YAY! He tested it twice to make sure for me. Anyway, what he found was that the phosphates were 1000. Everything else was good...Ph7.8, TA 110, CH 300, copper & iron 0. My FC was .5, but I knew it was time for shock and my automatic feeder hasn't been filled in 1 1/2 weeks. The phosaphate issue was a first, and they told me to use 4qt of PHOSfree with directions to add 1 liter at a time and to check the pressure in between. I bought the PHOSfree, and now I have read that you all suggest shocking and not to worry about the phosphates. Does it affect anything to add the PHOSfree since I already paid for it? A few days ago was the first time I have noticed a hint of green algae on one place on the pool wall. I shocked and brushed it and added polyquat. It was lightly back yesterday. I brushed it off last night and am going to shock today. We have full sun, no shade at all.

Thanks for the info about liquid bleach....I didn't drain the pool totally at one time to solve the CYA, but here in Texas it's been over 100, and I've had lots of splash out and evaporation to the point of adding water 2 times a week to keep the level at mid tile line. The liquid bleach helped keep from adding CYA, and for a few weeks I didn't add 3" tabs bc they are all triclor which has CYA. I just kept adding bleach every day or every other day as needed.

Tanks for phosphate advice!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: phosphates

I am not sure you are using the term "shock" correctly. [shock:1kcxglto][/shock:1kcxglto]

See if you can return the Phosfree (many pool stores will not accept returns on even unopened chemicals ... read into that what you will). It will not hurt anything to use, but I recall one thread where it did not even lower the phosphate level between the pool store tests.

Also, realize that evaporation will not lower the CYA.

I would not advise using the chlorinator again as you are now on the high end of the recommended CYA levels ... stick to the liquid.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pool store loves to tell people they have high phosphates and love to sell you something to get rid of them even more. In a well balanced pool, they can be ignored.

Can't take it back?

50 CYA is much better, and probably a good thing given the heat we've had! But don't add more!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Were the two CYA test results from the same kit/place? (135 dropped to 50)

Did you remove water by backwashing, draining, or vacuum to waste? Evaporation doesn't help since it just gets the chemicals more concentrated and then when you add water the chemicals are still there and unchanged in concentration from before the evaporation.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA from same place about 4 weeks in between. First I drained the water intentionally to the bottom of the skimmer and refilled two days in a row just before the 4th. Lots of splash out and down to the bottom of skimmer after the party on the 4th. At least once a week since then, I've had kids here and splash out has brought the level down each time. I have big boys and their friends(and dads) and my husband, there is a lot of jumping going on in our pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by swimcoach
    Does it affect anything to add the PHOSfree since I already paid for it?
    It affects the level of cash in your wallet if you can return it instead of using it!

Don't worry about phosphates. Just shock your pool IAW Pool School and strive to keep your FC levels at the target for your CYA. If you're going to be absent-minded about your daily FC levels, add some Polyquat 60 algecide to cope for some lapses.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

yes phosphates feeds algae but if you kill them with chlorine then you don't have to worry about them growing and multiplying. Chlorine kills them. No live algae no worries.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

How much chlorine does it take to "kill" 5000 ppm phosphates in 28,000 gallons of water.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

9. Back To Top    #9

Chlorine prevents (kills) the algae from growing.
    I do not think the chlorine "kills" the phosphates.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

You didn't answer the question though. How much does it take?
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by bobodaclown
    yes phosphates feeds algae but if you kill them with chlorine then you don't have to worry about them growing and multiplying. Chlorine kills them. No live algae no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimcmp
    How much chlorine does it take to "kill" 5000 ppm phosphates in 28,000 gallons of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Chlorine prevents (kills) the algae from growing.
    I do not think the chlorine "kills" the phosphates.
    You didn't answer the question though. How much does it take?
    I think the confusion may have started with the first quoted reply. Bobodaclown wasn't saying you kill the phosphates - he was saying you kill the algae and it doesn't matter how much food there is in the pool - they don't eat it and they don't grow 'cause the algae is dead. And by maintaining minimum FC at the right level for your CYA - you keep Algae from getting a toe hold in the pool - thus no worries over phosphates.

Jblizzle did answer the question - just not in the way expected. There is no specific amount to kill given the information you provided. What is needed is the CYA level not the volume and phosphate levels.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Chlorine does not remove phosphates. But it doesn't matter if there's no algae.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

13. Back To Top    #13

If you weren't able to return the Phosfree and still haven't used it yet, I would recommend not using it (or only add small amounts at a time).

Before I found this site, I added a whole bottle of phosfree to my pool and it clogged up the filter right away. I had to clean the filter, which basically the same as just throwing the phosfree away, but was more work.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

I used the Phosfree as the directions were given....1 liter every hour and check the pressure in between. I also cleaned the filter cartridges and shocked the pool before I started. It became a little hazy, but cleared over night. It's all good now. I hated to return the Phosfree as we live 1 hour from any pool store. It would have cost me more in gas, so I gave it a try. LOL

15. Back To Top    #15

Next time you go to the pool store (if ever). Have them test again and see is the phosphates actually went down ... just for curiosity.
    Jason, TFP Moderator