Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone ever used this stuff?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone ever used this stuff?

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 14222.html

I've finally gotten the clorine, ph, salt, etc... taken care of, but I still have a lot of scale in my pool. I was looking at this stuff from Leslie's and it says it gets rid of scale, so my question is has anyone ever used it? It's VERY expensive ($40.00 for a half gallon), but if it will get rid of the white **** inside my pool, it's worth it.

They also have another product that appears to do the same basic thing, but it's also $40 a half gallon. Do either of these work?

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Ch ... 14221.html

Thanks
    Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Anyone ever used this stuff?

I haven't looked at the products but scale is usually formed through incorrect water balance.

If you could post a full set of test results, we may be able to suggest some changes to your water which will get rid of the scale and, importantly, keep it from reoccurring.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by restoman
    http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-Chemicals/Stain-Removers/14222.html

... has anyone ever used it?....
    Yep, I have, years ago. My water was all "balanced," but cloudy. I probably needed some POP, maybe more frequent backwashing, or, maybe, a bit of DE added to my sand filter. The guys at Leslie's suggested Stain & Scale. I tried it and probably coincidently, my pool cleared up quickly.

In my experience, giving it a try in a gunite pool with a sand filter at the recommended dose probably wouldn't hurt anything but your wallet. You, however, have a cart filter and I know nothing about them. You might be better off answering Dave's post and see what other options might turn up.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Those are very different products. Stain & Scale 2 is a stain remover. It takes metals and calcium scale on the pool surfaces and puts them back into the water. It is only useful when you already have stains/scaling and will do very little to prevent future stains/scale. Scale Free is a sequestrant optimized for calcium. It will prevent very high CH levels from causing scaling. It works, but gets rather expensive and consumes some chlorine. Better to reduce the CH level and thus avoid problems. Scale Free is mostly only useful in preventing future scaling and will do very little for current scaling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the reviews so far, and here are the numbers:

Free chlorine is 2
    Total chlorine is also 2
    Salt is 3300
    CYA is 50
    Alkalinity is 90
    pH is 7.4

The issue is that I've had calcium now for a few years and am getting very tired of looking at a spotted white pool, instead of a solid dark gray pool. The blue tiles are light blue, the stairs are spotted white, the floor is spotted white. There has to be something (other than an acid wash) that can remove this ****.

Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

6. Back To Top    #6

I note you didn't list CH anywhere. Given where you live, I'm guessing it's at least 800. Unless you refilled it this year, in which case it will be closer to 500. When you test it, use 10 ml sample, 10 drops of the R-0010, 3-5 drops of R-0011L, and count each drop of R-0012 as 25 ppm. Instructions say 3 drops of the R-0011L, but I find 5 gives a deeper color that's easier to see.

Once you plug those numbers in to Pool Calculator, you'll probably see CSI very high. Which in layman's terms means the water can't hold any more Calcium so it starts sticking to the walls - scale.

My whole pool had a nice coating of scale. Initially I thought the white patches were the scale. Turns out the white patches were the plaster, the grey-blue color was the scale. With water replacement - I use pool water to water the lawns then refill with lower CH tap water - and keeping TA low (50-60) and pH 7.2-7.4 I have been able to slowly lift the scale. It takes a lot of brushing with a wire brush, too.

Nov, 2010

June, 2012
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll tell you what Richard, you get an "A" for being persistent in keeping your water balance where it needs to be to put that calcium back into solution. That looks awesome!

8. Back To Top    #8

"Instructions say 3 drops of the R-0011L"

FYI, not sure if the instructions have changed, but my kit, recently purchased, says 5 drops of the R-0011L....
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish
    "Instructions say 3 drops of the R-0011L"

FYI, not sure if the instructions have changed, but my kit, recently purchased, says 5 drops of the R-0011L....
    The instructions say 5 drops for the 25 ml sample, 3 for 10 ml. I use 5 so the color's deeper. extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html Taylor also has the high CH variation:
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... umber=5138
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

My CH is now 325. Not sure what it was a few years ago.

Ed