Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: When is the best time to run the pool pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

South Carolina

When is the best time to run the pool pump?

I read somewhere on here about running the pool pump for about as many hours as gallons of water in my pool. The, try backing off some to find the most economical, yet beneficial length of time to run. Correct? I have ours running from early evening into early morning. Is there a best time? Also, my robot runs the entire time. Is that too much robot time for my plaster? We are still getting residual plaster in our bag when we are in balance and CH is 300.
    15 K gallons
    Centurion Pump/Hayward Sand Filter
    Polaris 360 Robot

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sault Ontario

Re: When is the best time to run the pool pump?

Ideally you want to turn the pool over at least once, so that involves determining how many gallons per hour your system runs. Then you can decide on wether to run at night or during the day (costs versus pool temp desired).
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

I'd say run when when the rates are cheapest if you're on a metered rate. Other wise here's some info from Pool School: pool-school/pump_run_time
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4
    Tucson, AZ

There are pros / cons for running during the day vs. at night ... in the end it really does not make much difference. If your power at night is cheaper, that is a clear + for running at night.

The length of time required to run your pump is really just long enough so the pool stays clean to your liking. See the link bobodaclown posted.

I would think the robot run time should not affect the plaster.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!