Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water is clear but the bottom is very dirty

1. Back To Top    #1

Water is clear but the bottom is very dirty

Using the info from this website I managed to turn my green pool water into 1OO% clear and clean. I ended up with one problem. The bottom of the pool is very dirty. Very! There must be 1/2 inch of greed muddy slippery stuff. If I touch it, the water around turns green. So...Should I start and keep vacuuming it or should I brush the bottom, let the dirt be stirred in the water and keep filtering?

above ground, 33 ft round, 25,OOO gal
    Ph 7.2
    FC 2
    TA 7O
    CYA 3O but I added more recently, which did not dissolve yet, should get to 5O

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water is clear but the bottom is very dirty

You can vacuum to waste to get the green out of the water, but chances are if it is green it is algae and you are not finished with the shock process.

I would do an overnight chlorine loss test to see if you need to shock.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Did you follow the shock procedure outline in the Pool School? I guess I am kind of surprised you could pass the OCLT with that much junk on the bottom.

IF you can, scoop everything off the bottom. Or, if you can vacuum to waste that would get it out of the pool and not clog up the filter.

I would recommend you get all the gunk out and then revisit the shock process to confirm there is nothing left in the pool.

I can see based on your reported levels, that your FC is right on the minimum for a CYA of 30ppm ... and too low if you have already added more stabilizer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I'll try vacuum to waste and then shock again