Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard algae?????

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard algae?????

Today was the first swim of the season, the pool has been clear, what I noticed while swimming was the floor was kinda slippery, I dawned the goggles and used my brush to brush the walls and floor, what I noticed was a kind of powder/haze when I brushed, as I kept on brushing, the pool was getting cloudy, is this the start of mustard algae???? If I brushed the wall with my hand same thing, kinda slippery, followed by a white cloud. Pool is over 2yrs old.

here are my numbers

FC 10
    TC 10
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA100
    CH 600
    CYA70

I know my cya is high and have been keeping my FC up

What do you all think??????
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    It probably isn't algae. Most likely it is pollen.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hey, Rock,

It doesn't sound like mustard algae to me. Mustard is commonly misdiagnosed so I'd assume it's regular algae and shock the pool up to about 25ppm or so. Hold it at that level for a couple of days and brush the floors and walls also. Keep your pump running. My guess is that will cure what I would suggest is just a lingering case of algae.

Mustard algae typically is brownish rust in color, likes to grow on the shady side of the pool and brushes up like dust but is back in the same spot the next day. It sounds like you have a more generalized condition.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    I added about 1 1/2 gallons of bleach, using the taylor 100 test kit, I think I am at 25, is there another way to test clorine higher?? is there any harm with high amounts of clorine (bleach)???
    13,000 IG Plaster, 2hp whisperflo pump, 48 sq in pentair DE Filter, 1 skimmer, 2 eyeball outlets, 200 sq ft solar panels on second story, Auto Pilot SWG-36, Polaris ATV Cleaner