Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Soapy Backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Soapy Backwash

Hey All, New to the forum and found it by doing a search.

I am having what looks like soapy water coming out of the backwash. I did read somewhere that the cause could be from scented bleach. Well my wife bought 4 gallons of bleach but I am not sure if it was scented or not.

The pool stays cloudy and will not clear for anything and someone suggested she pour the bleach in. The bleach made the pool blue but it is still cloudy and we cannot get it clear no matter what we try.

Also, another thing it started doing is, when I filter it for like 30 mins and turn it off, it blows water back out the skimmer (so hard it blows the basket out).

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    27' x 3 1/2 ft Above ground - Hayward Dream Line Sand Filter - Filter rate : 25GPM - Effective Filtration area : 1.80 ft2 - Nashville, TN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Soapy Backwash

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles
    Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm baffled but someone may have some ideas. If you get a sec - read this: pool-school/read_before_you_post and update your signature with the pool info requested - that will help others help you.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Fancy bleach can do that. So can some algaecides.

Blowing water means the filter is full of air. First, open the bleed valve and let it out. Then start looking for a suction side air leak. Most common are stuck or missing weir (flapper) in the strainer, low water level, and bad seal on the pump strainer lid. Try the search box for "air leak" and you'll get pages of threads.

I think you need to start in
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

After I turned it off, I did hear and see some air coming from the pump strainer lid. So I fixed that. Not to sure where the bleed valve is. I would have to look for it.

But I think it was the bleach, I just checked the bottles and it was the clorox girly stuff...lol.. Shoulda known better than send the wife for cleaning stuff. You know how they like the smelly stuff...
    27' x 3 1/2 ft Above ground - Hayward Dream Line Sand Filter - Filter rate : 25GPM - Effective Filtration area : 1.80 ft2 - Nashville, TN

5. Back To Top    #5

After I turned it off, I did hear and see some air coming from the pump strainer lid. So I fixed that. Not to sure where the bleed valve is. I would have to look for it.

But I think it was the bleach, I just checked the bottles and it was the clorox girly stuff...lol.. Shoulda known better than send the wife for cleaning stuff. You know how they like the smelly stuff...
    If there's a bleed valve, it will be on the very top of the filter housing. If you have a sand filter, you won't have one as the air will get pushed out of the pipe on top.

If you'll go up to the upper left user control panel and fill out your signature with pool size, equipment, location, etc, it helps a great deal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I edited my sig. I hope thats enough info needed.

7. Back To Top    #7

Here are 2 pics I just took this morning. The water is still very cloudy and now has something (looks like soap) floating on the top.

8. Back To Top    #8

I bet you're right about the bleach. That "girlie" bleach has thickeners and perfumes that will cause foaming.

That filter is a top mount valve (SP714T) and therefore doesn't have a air bleed valve.

When you're running the pump, is there air in the pump strainer basket?
    Is any air coming out the return into the pool?

If yes to either of those you have a suction side air leak and that's a separate but connected issue to the foaming.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Speaking as a "girlie girl"

Would wrapping your hand held skimmer basket in cheese cloth (it's made of cotton and is absorbent) and scooping gently on the surface of the water remove this foam? Or wrapping the skimmer basket in the on the wall skimmer with cheese cloth. I know you can skim grease off the top of a pot of soup by scraping the surface with cheese cloth.

Just wondered if the same technique would work with bleach scum/foam.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I think the issue with the "foam look" was not enough water and cause the air to create it. I added water to the pool, checked everything for air, pushed the lever on the filter down to let excess air out, turned the filter back on and now the top layer of foamy stuff is gone. Just still real cloudy. I guess only time will tell now if it clears up.

I added 4 gallons of straight bleach yesterday and it is looking like its clearing up a bit.

11. Back To Top    #11

I added 4 gallons of straight bleach yesterday and it is looking like its clearing up a bit.
    4 gallons may be enough. It may be too much and you'll bleavh the liner. Or you have high CYA and it is nowhere near enough. The only way to know for sure is to break out the test kit and check everything.

If you've done much reading here, you'll see that test strips are unreliable. So are pool store tests. If you don't have a test kit, buy one. It will save you a lot of money in the long run - by long I mean a couple months. Or one trip to a pool store with a good salesman.