Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TEST NUMBERS ON NEW POOL

1. Back To Top    #1

TEST NUMBERS ON NEW POOL

i just done my first test after adding chemicals to my new pool. here are the numbers
    cl-5
    br-10
    ph-7.8
    fc-9
    cc-.5
    tc-9.5
    ta-140
    cya-50= i tested twice and came up with the same reading. i just added stabilizer last night and it may take up to a week to start reading correctly but i wanted to see how much the stabilizer boosted it

my pool sees about 12 hoours of direct sunlight in a day.
    if anymore info is needed let me know.
    i use bleach for chlorine and intend on using the bbb method but could not find borax yesterday when i went to do my chemicals.

these are the readings before i added anything
    cl-.5
    br-1
    ph-7.2
    fc-.5
    cc-0
    tc-.5
    ta-140
    cya-0
    ch-160
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit
    BBB method and pool rover jr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TEST NUMBERS ON NEW POOL

Br meaning bromine? If you are using chlorine for sanitizer, then that doesn't matter.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

3. Back To Top    #3

OK thanks
    24x52 sharkline heritage agp,Hayward power flo lx 1h/p,Hayward s210 sandfilter, and tf100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Good job. FC 5 is just right.

pH is rising so you will want to push that down to 7.4 when it hits 7.8. I suggest that you do that many times, testing afterwards to be sure you hit your mark. Test TA frequently at first, taking notes. The pH adjustments will eventually lower TA (by 10 or 20 per week maybe) and when that TA is less the acid you add is more potent in adjusting the pH.

I do wonder what CYA you tried to reach, to see that much on test the next day suggests that you either used liquid stabilizer (tests right away I hear) or may have added more than enough CYA. Goal is 30 - 50 ppm CYA for regular pools and 75 - 85 for SWG pools. To conserve CYA reagent, just pour the test mix back into the vial and repeat as needed until you are satisfied with the reading. Know that you should do this in sunlight and without sunglasses on. (Sunlight makes dot disappear faster so CYA reads too low in house lighting, sunglasses can affect how you see it also)

Keep an eye on CC, at 0.5 you are fine, any more might reflect something going on.

Don't mess with borax for awhile. Be certain that all the other things are well under control. pH adjustments are trickier if things are not right.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

5. Back To Top    #5

FWIW, after a sock squishing I've been able to measure CYA accurately as little as 24 hours after addition. It can take up to a week to show a result in a test, but it can also register right away. The squishing method seems to make it available right away in my experience. I think it has a lot to do with the powder turning pasty and billowing out into the water vs sitting on/in the filter waiting for the water friction to dissolve it or hanging in a sock undisturbed so it dissolves slowly.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

I actually put the stabilizer in the skimmer last night and it had all dissolved this morning when I checked and done my water test. So I guess that is why it showed so quick there is no chlorine smell and water is beatiful

7. Back To Top    #7

third test on the new pool water and remember i get about 12 to 14 hours of direct sunlight a day.
    cl-2
    br-4
    ph-7.8
    fc-2
    cc-.5
    tc-2.5
    ta-150 (not sure why this is rising)
    cya-30(still feeling out how to do this test properly)

am i going in the rite direction or am i way off base

8. Back To Top    #8

Br (bromine) does not matter unless you have a bromine pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm aware I just have it on my test sheets so I am write it down.
    How s the rest look

10. Back To Top    #10

If your CYA is 30ppm, you're below minimum at 2ppm FC already. Add bleach to raise FC to 7ppm right away. Today, after everyone is done swimming and the sun is off the pool, check again. Then add bleach to raise back to 7ppm, test an hour later to be sure it stuck. You could do an OCLT at this point, tomorrow morning before the sun hits the pool and see if it's still 7ppm. If so, you're likely good to go chlorine wise and you can rinse and repeat tomorrow night. By raising it to the high target every day (either in AM or PM -you chose) you should be able to lose ~50% of the chlorine daily and still always remain above minimum. If you have a planned high bather load, or something happens (pee or poo, dead animal, etc.) you can give the pool a tip (ppm or few extra chlorine) and continue enjoying the pool.

Your pH is at the high end of normal, so you may need to lower that soon. Keep an eye on it.

TA will come down slowly when you lower pH, so right now I wouldn't worry about it. When you've got the rest of the pool dialed, you can try the acid/aeration method of lowering TA (see pool school).
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

11. Back To Top    #11

my numbers have been consistent for three weeks now. my water has been crystal clear since day one and my fc has stayed between 3 and 7 for three weeks now. i chlorinate in the am cause i work third so there is no direct sunlight in the am but that is the only time, from 9 till 7 it gets direct sunlight. i have been lowering my ta to the 90 range, it started at 150 and i have got it to 110 by using muratic acid and areating ph back up. the only question i have is about the cya cause i am not consistent on my test numbers, my best guess is thirty or fourty i use thirty on the pool calculator. with the amount of sunlight i get should my cya be 50 or higher or is the 30 to 40 range ok. i was doing the overnight test and loosing only 1ppm and fc stayed consistent. i live in southeast georgia and have humidity and sun like florida