Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 Booster Pump requirements

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 Booster Pump requirements

I recently had a booster pump replaced. the new pump is a Hayward 3/4 HP with 3450 RPM.
    My Polaris 280 is running slow at only 15 RPM. I have taken it in to get checked. But before the new install
    I had no problems. Is this enough pump to run the Polaris. Discharge where the polaris ties in is 28 PSI.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Sacramento, California

Re: Polaris 280 Booster Pump requirements

Hi tremors69,

3/4 HP is standard for a booster pump whether it is Hayward or Polaris. Is your cleaner operating normally other than the speed?

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes just will not climb walls like before new pump installed. Cleaned system and backwashed filter same results.

4. Back To Top    #4

SE Pennsylvania

I'm curious for my own Polaris pool cleaner, did this every get solved? I will be replacing my booster pump soon since it it over 15 years old now and I would like to know if you ever got wall-climbing back?

Also I would like to post your fix on my site for others to see.

We have a 21X41 Rectangular Pool in our backyard with a 1hp filter motor, 1/2hp booster motor with a Polaris 280 automatic pool cleaner and Anthony Pool Filter. We review Pool Cleaners at Our main site is for all things backyard related.