going on vacation

Aug 11, 2011
Hi Everybody,

We will be out of town for a week, and I am not sure how to keep the pool in shape.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Add a lot of chlorine before we leave.

My pool looses about 2ppm a day which is replaced by about 2 Liters of bleach each day. Makes 14 ppm or 28 liters of bleach, and will bring the
initial level up to 19ppm before I leave. (usual level between 4-6ppm for CYA of 50) Is that too much? It shouldn't be since that is basically shock level so it shouldn't hurt anything. But is it that simple? Or is there anything else to think of?

Should I put the solar cover on as an extra precaution so the chlorine doesn't go down as fast or will that just heat up the pool too much in this weather?

Should I invest in one of these things that regulate your water level so it doesn't get too low?

We have a chlorinator for tabs; should I do that for week? I never used it so I guess I would have to play with the settings for a while to get a hang of it?

Any suggestions?

Thank you

If you have a neighbor or family member who can check on it once or twice during the week, that always makes me feel better too. If you bump up the chlorine, have your cover on, and make sure the water is topped off a little above normal everything should be fine.

When I worry is when we get storms that come through. I like to make sure there is someone I can trust to check the skimmer and vacuum the stuff off of the main drain if it is needed so I know my pump will survive my absense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.