Newbie that had green pit with frogs!

Hi all, I found you last night when I was searching for answers. I stayed up until about 2 a.m. reading all the stickies. I have learned a lot...but still need some help.

I took the cover off my pool 3 days ago and it was worse than I have ever seen. green and cloudy lots of leaves..that somehow got under the cover.. I've had the pool 4 years. It has gotten increasingly harder to maintain over the years with each season being harder than the one before.. here is a run down of my pool and problems...my pool is an 18 X 36 rectangular pool with 4 foot shallow end and I think an 8 foot deep end. I have been using chemicals from wal-mart- Aqua Chem. I used the test strips and that is all I have ever used. When I saw my green pit with 2 frogs swimming around in there..ekk.. I knew I had trouble... I poured chlorine.. the shock extra blue from aqua chem.. and a whole bottle of algaecide plus.. that I have now discovered I didn't really need to do and I looked at the bottle and it was not the one that began with poly.. it has copper in it. Ok.. first it turned a turquoise blue color and is lots better but still see algae on the bottom and it is very cloudy..can't see the bottom in deep end but can in shallow... I went to lowes today looking for all the BBB things I need to now run my pool... I'm learning... I don't have a test kit yet.. but ordering one tonight....I bought an Aqua chem kit that only test ph and chlorine.. it says my ph is low.. the color is lighter than the lowest reading on the kit... my chlorine is good ( I think).. the color is in the 3.0-6.5 color block.. so what to do now.. i've added ph increaser from aqua chem for two days.. and it's still low.. ( Used the test strips for that info and used the pool chemicals from aqua chem before I found you guys) What do I do now.... help!!!

Thanks so much and this forum is great!!!

Lanice in Mississippi..

I took a photo of my pool..not sure if I got that in here correctly.. I did an attachment.. you may see cows in the background in a field behind my house... lol..

Hi Lanice and welcome to TFP! :)

Most of us use PhotoBucket.Com for their pix.

You may be amazed how confident you feel armed with a good test kit.

We have a lot of knowledgable people here to answer questions. Feel free to ask away!

Keep us updated on your progress. :wink:

Thanks for the welcome! I am very fortunate to have found this forum. For the first time in 5 years I feel I have the knowledge to take care of my pool.... thanks to ya'll. Thanks for the info on photobucket, hopefully I will have the pics here.

I will keep you up to date
SANY0019.jpg
SANY0020.jpg
SANY0021.jpg
SANY0023.jpg

Thank you! It is such a relaxing place to be. I love it here. Hopefully I will be able to post a crystal clear pool in a short time. It looks so much better than it did. The green is going away, but still cloudy. I guess I need to be patient and wait on my test kit. Anyone know how long it will take to come in.

Don't worry.. green to clean takes just about a week if you are religious enough in your chlorine numbers... most of us have been there one time or the other and pulled through in about 7 days.. :lol:

Anyone know how long it will take to come in.

Hey, Lanice,

Your order from Sunday shipped to you on Monday via DHL ground. You should've received an email Monday evening with a projected delivery date. My guess is your kit will be to you tomorrow or Thursday....not sure which.

Did DHL not send you that tracking #?

BTW, Thank you for your order. :lol: :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.