Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Power surge took out my pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Power surge took out my pump?

After a series of lightning storms my Hayward TriStar pump no longer runs. It hums for awhile, and shuts off -- I was told it's a classic starter capacitor problem. Tried replacing the cap with a new one that had the exact same specs -- didn't fix it. Called a service company that did the same thing -- didn't fix the problem and they are telling me that I need to replace the whole pump motor. Seems like and expensive oversimplified fix. Any suggestions on my next step -- the pool is getting very green.
    20,0000 gal gunite IG pool, built May 2016. Jandy VS ePump, Jandy 60sfDE filter, AquaLink controller, PureLink salt water chlorinator, with Pentair Rainbow in-line chlorine feeder. Use a Taylor Total Poolcare DPD test kit. Heated by the Texas sun.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Power surge took out my pump?

I should have mentioned that I can reach in and turn the pump freely -- not jammed at all.
    20,0000 gal gunite IG pool, built May 2016. Jandy VS ePump, Jandy 60sfDE filter, AquaLink controller, PureLink salt water chlorinator, with Pentair Rainbow in-line chlorine feeder. Use a Taylor Total Poolcare DPD test kit. Heated by the Texas sun.

3. Back To Top    #3

Can't help on the pump, but I suggest taking FC up to shock level and using a Wall Whale brush to mix bleach into the pool. A good brushing with that Wall Whale a few times a day is called for.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you or they try cleaning the centrifugal switch contacts? If so then I suspect they're correct. It's time for a new motor.

I'd use this opportunity to get a 2-speed motor if the one you have isn't.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I tried to figure out where the switch was located, but I was told that my 2hp 2-speed original pump was significantly oversized for my pool and filter size so I stopped working on that. I have a 1HP 2-speed replacement motor on order. Thinking a about replacing the circuit breaker with one that includes surge protection since lightning is so common here in Texas.

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you are lowering the motor HP, you also will need to reduce the impeller size to match the motor ... this may also require additional parts (like the diffuser), but I am not sure on your pump setup.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!