Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wire for Pool Pump..

1. Back To Top    #1

Camden, NY

Wire for Pool Pump..

i have romex 12/2 from my panel box, through my house to the inside of my attached garage, from that point can i run the required THWN wire? I am going to put it in conduit 12-18" deep to an outlet that my pump will plug into. i am in upstate NY

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Wire for Pool Pump..

My initial answer is yes, BUT, it's really what your inspector says. They would be the first people to contact and ask that question.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

western NY

As dave said, you should be able to do this. The connections need to be made in a proper junction box and be accessible.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

Orange County, CA

Anything inside the dwelling can be romex, but inside the conduit will need THHN/THWN. Since this is 12/2, I'm guessing it's a 220V circuit with the two legs and a ground. And, I am also guessing it is protected by a 220V 20A 2P GFCI breaker. If not, you should change out the breaker. 20A is the limit for 12 gauge.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.