How do the big chlorine tanks in pool stores work?

Jul 13, 2012
I have always been curious how the large chlorine tanks you see outside pool supply stores work. i have googled but not found much information. i have never seen a chlorine tanker on the highway so I assume the liquid chlorine is made from a powder form.

getfile.php

No, the chlorine is made by electrolysis of brine in what is known as the chlor-alkali process that produces chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide (lye) in two separate chambers separated by a membrane. The lye is removed and purified and added to very clean water free of metals and the chlorine gas is then bubbled into it. The result is sodium hypochlorite which we know as chlorinating liquid or bleach. This is shipped to the pool store, often as 15% strength, and fills tanks, carboys, or gallon jugs.

For sure, the chlorinating liquid or bleach is not made from any powder. There is no powdered sodium hypochorite. All solid forms of chlorine would produce something else, either lithium hypochlorite, calcium hypochlorite, or chlorine with cyanuric acid (from Dichlor or Trichlor).

I've seen tanker trucks on the interstate without any branding. Guess I'll have to see if their "hazmat indicator" is set to Oxidizer next time. I never really thought about it. Actually the only pool store I go to I didn't see a tank at all, I'm wondering if they only sell gallons. They're too expensive anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.