Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do the big chlorine tanks in pool stores work?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do the big chlorine tanks in pool stores work?

I have always been curious how the large chlorine tanks you see outside pool supply stores work. i have googled but not found much information. i have never seen a chlorine tanker on the highway so I assume the liquid chlorine is made from a powder form.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do the big chlorine tanks in pool stores work?

No, the chlorine is made by electrolysis of brine in what is known as the chlor-alkali process that produces chlorine gas and sodium hydroxide (lye) in two separate chambers separated by a membrane. The lye is removed and purified and added to very clean water free of metals and the chlorine gas is then bubbled into it. The result is sodium hypochlorite which we know as chlorinating liquid or bleach. This is shipped to the pool store, often as 15% strength, and fills tanks, carboys, or gallon jugs.

For sure, the chlorinating liquid or bleach is not made from any powder. There is no powdered sodium hypochorite. All solid forms of chlorine would produce something else, either lithium hypochlorite, calcium hypochlorite, or chlorine with cyanuric acid (from Dichlor or Trichlor).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

so these tanks that you see in the chlorine store are filled up by a big tanker truck like the way they drop off gas at a gas station?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I've seen tanker trucks on the interstate without any branding. Guess I'll have to see if their "hazmat indicator" is set to Oxidizer next time. I never really thought about it. Actually the only pool store I go to I didn't see a tank at all, I'm wondering if they only sell gallons. They're too expensive anyway.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]