Self inviting pool guest?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
I suspect many of us have had them, friends, neighbors, relatives, and other acquaintances that seem to use your pool more than you do. It starts off innocently enough, sometimes with a phone call asking if they can come over and swim, then if you say yes evolves into getting that call every couple of days, perhaps you come home and find them in your pool and a message or 3 on the answering machine asking if it is ok to come over and swim. At first everything seems to be ok, and hey you were not using the pool that afternoon while at work anyway, ... then of course it gets worse, pool toys are not put up, wet towels are left laying around, etc. You probably try to be nice, say things like from time to time the pool may not be safe to swim in due to chemical treatments, you drop comments about people not cleaning up behind themselves, this often falls on deaf ears...

If this sounds familiar I would like to know how you deal with the situation? Keeping in mind that these are often people you want to or need to stay on good terms with.

thanks Ike

This comes up from time to time. I like to look at it like this...look at what you stand to lose should something bad happen. I would just start saying no. If they are truly friends, then it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm glad to see this topic come up. I've wondered how others have handled this. I've had my pool for only a short a while. So far I've had 1 neighbor lady mention that she "ought" to get in my pool. I pretty much pretended that I didn't hear her. Her kids have asked a couple of times. I tell them that I'm sorry but, no. They have 4 kids over there and about 40 cousins, nieces and nephews. That's just the kids! I know that if I let it get started they'll turn mine into a community pool! I just say "No". Secretly it makes me feel like that mean old lady on the block. But I don't qualify to serve as a life guard. Nor do I want to spend my days watching everyone else kids any way. And I sure don't want all the parents lounging around my pool all day.
So, I just say no and don't get into trying to explain myself. My pool, my rules.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

It's your property, just say no or start coming up with excuses (shocking, etc)......or blame it on your wife :wink:
If anything major were to happen you can kiss your pool goodbye, if the person is your friend they should respect your property.

We got an umbrella policy as soon as we had the pool put in, even though we rarely have anyone over. Last summer we had people asking to come over and at least every other weekend we had someone over. This season we've been making the plans and haven't had people over more than once a month it seems.

There are benefits to not having too many friends that you're really close to. Also, no kids in our immediate families yet and my extended family is too far away to make it worth their trip.

On the downside though, if my fiance doesn't feel like swimming than I'm by myself.

Speedo said:
We got an umbrella policy as soon as we had the pool put in, even though we rarely have anyone over. Last summer we had people asking to come over and at least every other weekend we had someone over. This season we've been making the plans and haven't had people over more than once a month it seems.

There are benefits to not having too many friends that you're really close to. Also, no kids in our immediate families yet and my extended family is too far away to make it worth their trip.

On the downside though, if my fiance doesn't feel like swimming than I'm by myself.
Sometimes its more relaxing just floating around without people bothering you :cheers:

We have 9 Grandkids, so there is not much room for adding more on major holidays. We are in an adult community with lots of community pools, so no neighbors with kids, and plenty of pools for their use. My parents also have a pool (5 blocks away), so we do go back and forth swimming in each others pools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One solution is to just not have any friends :(

But seriously, that's pretty crummy for someone to use your pool unannounced AND leave the area messy. I don't mind family using our pool (we have few good friends, so it's more family) but they have to know that the area needs to be left as clean as it was when they arrived.

Aside from the great naked idea, I vote for just say no and explain the safety issues. :drown:

Having people leave a mess wouldn't last one day for me.

How about telling them BYOB....make it 6%. :laughblue:

OMG that is a FABULOUS idea! Pay for pool use with bleach. Dang, why didn't I think of that? (like back in HS when you could collect a buck from each person for a ride in your car after school)

You could just tell them that any extra person in the pool means more bleach, so if they want to use it they should bring some. Nice!

frogabog said:
You could just tell them that any extra person in the pool means more bleach, so if they want to use it they should bring some. Nice!

Just the thought that you are putting bleach in the pool might be enough to scare some of them away ;)

True that... all great ideas! Glad my neighbor only said she should get in the pool once... the looks on the kids faces I believe... left her deciding not to. Ewww! (seriously, we do not want to see her in a bathing suit... ever)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.