Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self inviting pool guest?

1. Back To Top    #1

Self inviting pool guest?

I suspect many of us have had them, friends, neighbors, relatives, and other acquaintances that seem to use your pool more than you do. It starts off innocently enough, sometimes with a phone call asking if they can come over and swim, then if you say yes evolves into getting that call every couple of days, perhaps you come home and find them in your pool and a message or 3 on the answering machine asking if it is ok to come over and swim. At first everything seems to be ok, and hey you were not using the pool that afternoon while at work anyway, ... then of course it gets worse, pool toys are not put up, wet towels are left laying around, etc. You probably try to be nice, say things like from time to time the pool may not be safe to swim in due to chemical treatments, you drop comments about people not cleaning up behind themselves, this often falls on deaf ears...

If this sounds familiar I would like to know how you deal with the situation? Keeping in mind that these are often people you want to or need to stay on good terms with.

thanks Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Self inviting pool guest?

This comes up from time to time. I like to look at it like this...look at what you stand to lose should something bad happen. I would just start saying no. If they are truly friends, then it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm glad to see this topic come up. I've wondered how others have handled this. I've had my pool for only a short a while. So far I've had 1 neighbor lady mention that she "ought" to get in my pool. I pretty much pretended that I didn't hear her. Her kids have asked a couple of times. I tell them that I'm sorry but, no. They have 4 kids over there and about 40 cousins, nieces and nephews. That's just the kids! I know that if I let it get started they'll turn mine into a community pool! I just say "No". Secretly it makes me feel like that mean old lady on the block. But I don't qualify to serve as a life guard. Nor do I want to spend my days watching everyone else kids any way. And I sure don't want all the parents lounging around my pool all day.
    So, I just say no and don't get into trying to explain myself. My pool, my rules.

Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

4. Back To Top    #4

"i just shocked the pool, but you can come help me clean it."

That runs them off.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

You could counter by asking them if you could use their shower.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's your property, just say no or start coming up with excuses (shocking, etc)......or blame it on your wife
    If anything major were to happen you can kiss your pool goodbye, if the person is your friend they should respect your property.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

We got an umbrella policy as soon as we had the pool put in, even though we rarely have anyone over. Last summer we had people asking to come over and at least every other weekend we had someone over. This season we've been making the plans and haven't had people over more than once a month it seems.

There are benefits to not having too many friends that you're really close to. Also, no kids in our immediate families yet and my extended family is too far away to make it worth their trip.

On the downside though, if my fiance doesn't feel like swimming than I'm by myself.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]
    Powered by: TFP, PoolMath & TFTestkits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    We got an umbrella policy as soon as we had the pool put in, even though we rarely have anyone over. Last summer we had people asking to come over and at least every other weekend we had someone over. This season we've been making the plans and haven't had people over more than once a month it seems.

There are benefits to not having too many friends that you're really close to. Also, no kids in our immediate families yet and my extended family is too far away to make it worth their trip.

On the downside though, if my fiance doesn't feel like swimming than I'm by myself.
    Sometimes its more relaxing just floating around without people bothering you
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

9. Back To Top    #9

I have my pool to myself all the time. My husband is not a water person. I think in 7 years we've been with a pool, he's been in 3 times. Rarely do I have people over.
    Mona SE MN
    24' round 48" high AG
    Meteor Sand Filter
    1.5 HP pump

10. Back To Top    #10

We have 9 Grandkids, so there is not much room for adding more on major holidays. We are in an adult community with lots of community pools, so no neighbors with kids, and plenty of pools for their use. My parents also have a pool (5 blocks away), so we do go back and forth swimming in each others pools.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Taterfink
    I've wondered how others have handled this.
    We handle it by saying "No."

It's really not that hard.
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Vette
    Sometimes its more relaxing just floating around without people bothering you
    No denying that. Plus you get to pick your own music
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]