Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hillside help?

1. Back To Top    #1

Hillside help?

I am having a 21' above ground installed in a few weeks. Is it ok to install it roughly 5 feet from a small hill? The hill is steep but only about 4 feet high. I am having concerns that the weight of the water will push the hill out. Any thoughts? Thanks- Joe
    Smithfield, NC
    Summer Escapes 18' x 48" Pool
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter / Salt Water System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hillside help?

Can you post some pics of the site?
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

3. Back To Top    #3

Here you go. I attached 2 pics. The hill is pretty steep. I can walk down it but have to catch myself on the building next door. The hill has been there for at least 13 years (that is when we bought the house). There is no clay, all dirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smithfield, NC

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't think it would be a problem so long as that ground beneath your pool is really stable and not sand-like. Also take note if you are going to be building a deck or anything around the pool... do you have room for that?
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

As long as you level the pool site correctly, I don't think it'll have any effect on the swale.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like a mowing/maintenance nightmare!! But it would be a problem to put the pool up. If the ground was that unstable it would have already tried to shift under it's own weight and it looks like the slope very consistently the same along the entire run. So I wouldn't worry about it.

24'x52" Artesian w/ Portifino liner - Hayward 1hp powerflo matrix w/24" sand filter - AquaTrol RJ SWG. Solar heating to come. -

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the replies! Now my mind is at ease...
    Smithfield, NC