Rebuilding Letro Platinum Cleaner

aquaman

May 28, 2008
Pleasanton, CA
My cleaner sucks well - falss short on movment even when hose is not tangled or curled excessively and sure won't climb walls anymore. 6 yrs old, new tires. Left front wheel slips a little against the rotating gear. Slows sometimes when it is needs the hose to turn with it.

The hose swivels work but may not swivel as easily - can an increase in "swivel resistance" impede the vehicle?

I will move the back wheel to the front to see if slipping goes away, but how do I assess the gears inside (do they slip?) if I have it on pool deck and cannot replicate the resistance/torque the wheels are demanding.

If the tail of the beast is literally worn flat on its underside by dragging on the pool bottom, but still swishes even though rings that are supposed to be on it are gone and the foam at the end is gone...does this influence drag/reduce performance?

Lots of questions - so I will stop and ask the big one -- how do I find out what is improtant to refurbish on this baby and is it best to:

Get a new cleaner and support job growth

Send it in for rebuild

Find a list of what is most important to change out and do it myself in order to get her "humming" again

:wave:

Dave -- I was waiting for that valve question answer before a tried to coorelate it with my cleaner question :)
But when the booster pump goes on the water pressure coming out of wall for cleaner is flowing well. Does the main pump still figure in heavily with pressure for cleaner?

Boland - so I am going to move back wheels to front and see if it helps, then new wheels if it doesn't. If that doesn't help and I can't figure it is water pressure I still have to ask:
How do you know if internal gears are the problem?
The tail does nothing for power correct?
A swivel that is a bit stiff from age is not going to slow down a cleaner if the hose is not tangled correct? I'm asking if a swivel that makes the hose a bit "resistant" to turning or bending is enough to slow down a cleaner.

If the wheels turn when the booster pump comes on then the gears should be OK. The only thing the tail does is sweep back and forth behind the cleaner so the pool debris get moved to give the cleaner a better chance of going over it and picking it up. I have replaced all of my swivels. One froze up and the others became hard to turn. The swivels have to work or else the cleaner will have trouble hitting the entire pool. I've also had to replace the rings on the tail of my cleaner. Basically they just wore down over time. A couple of the floats on the cleaner hose started taking on water so I replaced those too. Last thing to check is the valve coming out of the side of your pool. There is a little screen in it that can get clogged. This will defintely negatively effect the operation of the cleaner. If there is debris in it simply take it out and clean it. Only takes a minute.

aquaman said:
Dave -- I was waiting for that valve question answer before a tried to coorelate it with my cleaner question :)
But when the booster pump goes on the water pressure coming out of wall for cleaner is flowing well. Does the main pump still figure in heavily with pressure for cleaner?
It does because it's cascaded with the cleaner pump. So if the main pump isn't pumping quite as much as it was it affects the amount of water the booster pump will pump which causes problems with the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.