preparing ground for new pool

friggy

Jul 20, 2012
I know this has been probably beat to death, but I need to order my material tomorrow and need some quick suggestions. I am installing a new 18x48 Intex Ultra Frame on a small grade. I built a small retaining wall out of PT 6x6's, although it is not holding back much of a slope. I am building the grade up to level, not digging into the slope.

Pics:

102_0421.jpg

102_0417.jpg

I will be adding another 6x6 at the bottom, I just left it out for now so I can get my tractor in there to fill the area. I was planning on getting some 2" gravel and compacting with a plate compactor. Then using sand for the last couple inches. There is around 8-9 inches to be added at the lowest spot. I have heard about class 5, but don't know what that is. What type of sand would I need, beech(dead), washed, etc????

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I went ahead and back-filled my area for the pool. I used 2" gravel which packs awesome and filled it up to within 3.5" from the top. My plan now since I have it perfectly level, is to add large pavers under each leg, a good ground cloth, and back-fill around the pavers and under the pool with 2 inches of sand. Then I will finish off the remaining 1.5 inches around the outside of the pool with either mulch, or crushed granite for looks. I am still looking for advice on what type of sand to place under the pool. So, if anyone can let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Here are pics of the progress.

102_0436.jpg

102_0437.jpg

102_0439.jpg

At the thickest point, there is roughly 4" to 6" of gravel. I compacted it with a 200 pound plate compactor multiple times in layers. Fill, wet gravel, pack.....repeated. I probably packed for over an hour. I guess I figured if gravel is strong enough to support all the garages I have built, it should be strong enough for this pool. Only difference that made me concerned is the weight on points(legs) vs. distributed over an entire slab. The gravel is dead on level, so I am happy with that.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything else I should do, I am all ears. Thanks

Also no expert, but when I had a contractor build up to level, he used a bunch of crushed rock (I think it was called) and then I topped that off with 1.5" foam boards. My site was so level that the Intex legs barely indented the foam. I would guess you'll be fine.

I paid a little less than those prices just do to the fact that I am building a garage, and bundled all my material together. Just be prepared to go through some lag bolts. I originally bought 30, ended up using 80......this thing is not going anywhere any time soon!!!

My pool arrived yesterday, now to buy my blocks, sand, and set this thing up.

Hard to see from the pictures but do you have rain gutters on your house? Not sure if that would be an issue with all the water running off the roof directly into your pool or the ground around your pool and possibly causing some soil erosion. Just a thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
superman0604 said:
Hard to see from the pictures but do you have rain gutters on your house? Not sure if that would be an issue with all the water running off the roof directly into your pool or the ground around your pool and possibly causing some soil erosion. Just a thought.
Would be very concern'd..Not to sound neg.But the look of the green algi on the the house there show's you have some moisture problem's there..

kplaster said:
superman0604 said:
Would be very concern'd..Not to sound neg.But the look of the green algi on the the house there show's you have some moisture problem's there..

I know, no real moisture problems, just a little algae. That is the north side of the house and the sun gets blocked by the eave overhangs. I have gutters and am already planning on putting them on. I need to bend up some new metal on the fascia and am waiting until I get the new garage completed so I only have to rent the metal brake once. I did the front last year, and the back and new garage will happen this year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.