Weekly Sunday testing... Questions

I have a K-2006 test kit. Here are my numbers...

FC - 2.5 (just added enough to get back to 7)
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 40
CH - 50
CYA - 50... here's the question, I ran out of solution. I filled tube to the 7 mark and had enough solution to fill halfway between 7 and 14 and it still came out 50. Would the solution be dilluted bc of having more water than solution? Is 50 still a valid reading or would you say it's higher?

Also, should I raise TA and/or CH. (I have a vinyl liner.) I also struggle keeping pH at the 7.2/7.4 range. It likes to jump to 8 quite often.

Thanks!

esim13 said:
Also, should I raise TA and/or CH. (I have a vinyl liner.) I also struggle keeping pH at the 7.2/7.4 range. It likes to jump to 8 quite often.

A Total Alkalinity factor of 80-120 will certainly give you more stable pH results as it acts as a pH buffer when within acceptable readings. Calcium Hardness is not really a major issue, although maintaining it in the region of 200-250 will cease and erosion of plant equipment in a liner pool.

I am unfamiliar with the CYA test kit's you use over the pond so can't speculate on your reading.

Stuart

Your CYA reading is not valid. Your actual level could well be higher, but there is no way of telling without getting more reagent and doing the test again.

You do want to raise TA, but unless you are using trichlor tablets for chlorine, only raise it a little, into the 70 to 90 range. Raising TA too much will result in the PH drifting up.

There is absolutely no point in adding calcium to a vinyl liner pool.

That's what I was thinking Jason. TA of 70 to 90 here I come. I'm also thinking the CYA isn't that much higher (no cause for alarm) bc it was around 30 a few weeks back. I went on vacation for a week and used 3 pucks to help with FC and to bring CYA up a little bit since pool is in full sun. Anyhoo, on my way to ordering more reagent. So, I'll know for sure soon.

THANKS! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.