Salt Water Generator / vinyl inground pool help please

Jojo4A

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2012
Moundville, Alabama
Hello, my pool was completed just at 2 weeks ago. I have been adjusting my SWG sanitizer output down. It has been at 60% for about a week, we had a party yesterday, lots of people in the pool. Today FC value is 12, so I have turned SWG down to 40%. ((FC had been trending down since startup of pool: 15 --> 12 --> 9 --> 8, but then now up to 12) This week we had heavy rains, so I think my CYA has been diluted out somewhat. My owners manual for SWG says ideal salt level is 3400ppm. My water looks good, crystal clear.

Here are my numbers:
FC 12
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 90
CH 150
CYA 60
Salt 4600ppm

Questions:
1. Regarding FC: Is this what I need to do. Adjust the % down, or should I maybe adjust the time it runs? See question 2.
2. My pump/SWG is on a timer. We are currently running it 8am to 8pm. If we cut the time down, would that help decrease the chlorine output?
3. Per pool calculator, I need to lower my pH and add cyanuric acid. Should I raise pH first, then add CYA? Should I retest CYA first after raising pH?

Since you're running at 40% I'd adjust it down to 30% and then start lowering the run time.

It wouldn't hurt to backwash a good long time to get the salt down some either.

After I did that, I'd add the CYA.

ouachita, Yes, I used my Taylor Salt test kit. 23 drops to turn the water milky salmon. 23x200 =4600 (did I do it right?) Salt was added by the PB 2 weeks ago when pool was finished. Plan to follow Bama Rambler's advice and back wash a little water out

You can either adjust the percentage down, reduce run time of the pump, or do both to reduce chlorine production. My pool is 24,000 gallons and I have a 12 hour run time at 40% to generate chlorine levels.

I would keep dropping it about 5% at a time and leave the pump on a 12 hour cycle until it gets down to what you want for chlorine levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.