Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Menard's Liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Menard's Liquid Chlorine

So Menard's in the Midwest had liquid chlorine for $2.50 a gallon, that fact has been well-broadcast hereabouts -

On the bottle, it states 12.5% sodium hypo, but 15% available chlorine.

I've been dosing with this product assuming it's 12.5%, just to be on the safe side.

Can anyone speak to the difference in numbers, or is that to be expected? Having just jumped to the BBB method, I have never read the label on any other liquid chlorine.

Great forum! It will be even better when someone comes up with a better method to deal with liner wrinkles! Never again. Never will I EVER try to do my own liner, especially when a cold front comes in 12 hours early and we're trying to finish in rain and 55 degrees. And the resulting bottom shows it..........

thanks!
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Menard's Liquid Chlorine

So I had another few free minutes and went over to read that this has already been posted and answered!

Another waste of precious electrons...........

thanks!
    24 foot AG Vinyl, 10 year old wall, 1 year old liner
    Hayward 240T Sand (free!)
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump (free)
    BBB just ROCKS!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi sbn56,
    I use Pinch A Penny liquid chlorine that's rated at 10.5%.
    In my additions I found I need to add in the calculator for 10 % for the numbers to work spot on, not the extra 1/2 %.

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sbn56
    So I had another few free minutes and went over to read that this has already been posted and answered!

Another waste of precious electrons...........

thanks!
    That's ok. Yes, the "available chlorine" is not really useful information. 12.5% sodium hypochlorite is simply 12.5%. May be less though depending on how long it has been sitting on the shelf.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    12.5% sodium hypochlorite is simply 12.5%. May be less though depending on how long it has been sitting on the shelf.
    That's why I didn't buy more than four cases.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]