how are my levels?

Go swimming and stop worrying!

CH is a little below recommended levels. If you have soft water from the faucet, raise CH to about 200. Pool Calculator says about ten pounds of Calcium Increaser. I, personally, wouldn't worry about being too exact; if it comes in a 4 lb package, buy two. Close enough.

And .5 CC is fine, unless you just finished clearing a swamp. Mine goes up and down all the time. One day zero, next day, .5; it may show .5 for 3 days in a row and then go back to zero.

So, my FC levels seem to be dropping fast, as of yesterday....

When I posted those results yesterday, I had a FC level of 8, right around 2 in the afternoon. After swimming (four adults and three small children) for a few hours, I tested the level around 10 pm, and the FC was pretty much zero....(when I added the powder to the 10ml water sample, it didn't turn pink at all).

I added some 6% bleach, and about an hour later, tested again, and the FC was about 5.

I just tested the water about 30 minutes ago, noon.....again, zero FC.

I just added 182 oz of 6% bleach.

That should dissipate in about an hour, right? I guess tonight I should be conducting the Overnight FC Loss Test? Even if my CC level is only .5?

Yep, something is going on. I suggest bringing it up to shock level, see if it holds overnight.

CC is just an end product of chlorine usage, can be carried away on wind and sun, so low is not diagnostic though high can be.

How small were those kids, any diapers?

[center:2e1fyjri]You lost 5 ppm overnight - not good. I wouldn't wait for tonight.
Run it up to shock level and check it again in a couple hours.
How'd you get that CYA level - your own drop testing, test strips, or pool store?

[youtube:2e1fyjri]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:2e1fyjri][/center:2e1fyjri]

If you're not holding chlorine like you should... and overnight test will help you determine if you need to shock or not.

If you're pretty certain you are going to need to shock, I would take the chlorine up to shock level at dark and then check in the morning to see if you've maintained it ... if you haven't, continue the shocking process and you've got a good start by starting at night. If it maintained, wait for it to come off of the shock level and enjoy swimming again knowing it is safe. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, remain at shock level till you pass the OCLT (and other 2 criteria). 3ppm in 2.25 hours is a lot to lose, even with sun. Chances are you caught it quickly, and the OCLT will pass but you'll have to raise it back to shock level overnight to know. CC will go up and down throughout the shocking process.

How's the water look?

frogabog said:
Yes, remain at shock level till you pass the OCLT (and other 2 criteria). 3ppm in 2.25 hours is a lot to lose, even with sun. Chances are you caught it quickly, and the OCLT will pass but you'll have to raise it back to shock level overnight to know. CC will go up and down throughout the shocking process.

How's the water look?

The water looks absolutely fine, totally clear.

I just tested the water again....FC was at 14 again (3.5 hours since last adding enough bleach to bring it back to FC 17, according to the pool calculator). Just added another dose of bleach to bring it back to FC 17. In about 90 minutes, I'm going to test the water again, now that the sun has completely set.

Every 90 minutes is good. Just stay on it and every 90 minutes, bring it back up to shock level until you have finished the process as evidenced by clear water, a CC of 0.5 or less, and holding to within 1 ppm or less of FC loss overnight.

The leaves aren't causing the large chlorine loss, but go ahead and remove them because they are a small factor at this point. Best to get all debris out of the water, the shocking process will go faster without them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.