1. Back To Top    #1

how are my levels?

pH - 7.6

FC - 8

CC - .5

TA - 110

CH - 120

CYA - 42

This is a fiberglass pool, so is my CH level ok? How about the TA?
    8,000 gallon, in ground, fiberglass pool with a cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how are my levels?

you need to shock with a CC of .5

see pool school on how to shock
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~
    Pentair Dynamo .75/1.0 HP pump
    16" Pooline D-400 Sand Filter w/ 6-way valve

3. Back To Top    #3

Go swimming and stop worrying!

CH is a little below recommended levels. If you have soft water from the faucet, raise CH to about 200. Pool Calculator says about ten pounds of Calcium Increaser. I, personally, wouldn't worry about being too exact; if it comes in a 4 lb package, buy two. Close enough.

And .5 CC is fine, unless you just finished clearing a swamp. Mine goes up and down all the time. One day zero, next day, .5; it may show .5 for 3 days in a row and then go back to zero.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

So, my FC levels seem to be dropping fast, as of yesterday....

When I posted those results yesterday, I had a FC level of 8, right around 2 in the afternoon. After swimming (four adults and three small children) for a few hours, I tested the level around 10 pm, and the FC was pretty much zero....(when I added the powder to the 10ml water sample, it didn't turn pink at all).

I added some 6% bleach, and about an hour later, tested again, and the FC was about 5.

I just tested the water about 30 minutes ago, noon.....again, zero FC.

I just added 182 oz of 6% bleach.

That should dissipate in about an hour, right? I guess tonight I should be conducting the Overnight FC Loss Test? Even if my CC level is only .5?

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, something is going on. I suggest bringing it up to shock level, see if it holds overnight.

CC is just an end product of chlorine usage, can be carried away on wind and sun, so low is not diagnostic though high can be.

How small were those kids, any diapers?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

6. Back To Top    #6

[center:2e1fyjri]You lost 5 ppm overnight - not good. I wouldn't wait for tonight.
    Run it up to shock level and check it again in a couple hours.
    How'd you get that CYA level - your own drop testing, test strips, or pool store?

[youtube:2e1fyjri]uijLXS-IJZM[/youtube:2e1fyjri][/center:2e1fyjri]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

If you're not holding chlorine like you should... and overnight test will help you determine if you need to shock or not.

If you're pretty certain you are going to need to shock, I would take the chlorine up to shock level at dark and then check in the morning to see if you've maintained it ... if you haven't, continue the shocking process and you've got a good start by starting at night. If it maintained, wait for it to come off of the shock level and enjoy swimming again knowing it is safe.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, two of the three kids had swim diapers.

I got the CYA level from the TF 100 test kit.

As far as shocking, my pH is 7.5. Do I need to lower pH to 7.2 before shocking?

9. Back To Top    #9

I just vacuumed, brushed, and skimmed the pool.

Just tested and now the FC is at around 11.5 - 12.

CC is still basically .5, perhaps a little higher, but not 1.

Based on a CYA of 42, I'm going to now add 6% bleach to bring FC up to 17.

10. Back To Top    #10

I brought FC up to 17 around 1:45.

At 2:45, I tested FC and it was 17.

I waited until 5 P.M. to test again....and now FC is 14.

At this point, I should add bleach to bring it back up to FC 17?

CC tested at .5

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes, remain at shock level till you pass the OCLT (and other 2 criteria). 3ppm in 2.25 hours is a lot to lose, even with sun. Chances are you caught it quickly, and the OCLT will pass but you'll have to raise it back to shock level overnight to know. CC will go up and down throughout the shocking process.

How's the water look?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    Yes, remain at shock level till you pass the OCLT (and other 2 criteria). 3ppm in 2.25 hours is a lot to lose, even with sun. Chances are you caught it quickly, and the OCLT will pass but you'll have to raise it back to shock level overnight to know. CC will go up and down throughout the shocking process.

How's the water look?

The water looks absolutely fine, totally clear.

I just tested the water again....FC was at 14 again (3.5 hours since last adding enough bleach to bring it back to FC 17, according to the pool calculator). Just added another dose of bleach to bring it back to FC 17. In about 90 minutes, I'm going to test the water again, now that the sun has completely set.

13. Back To Top    #13

This is frustrating!

I tested the water around 10:30 last night, and FC was 19.

Just tested again this morning, before sun hits the pool, and FC is 12.5.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish
    This is frustrating!

I tested the water around 10:30 last night, and FC was 19.

Just tested again this morning, before sun hits the pool, and FC is 12.5.
    Keep working on it.

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm working on it....

just added 3.5 more quarts of 6% bleach....brushed the pool and skimmed.

Checking the FC level every 90 minutes....is that a good amount of time, or should I check exactly 1 hour after dumping more bleach in?

16. Back To Top    #16

Every 90 minutes is good. Just stay on it and every 90 minutes, bring it back up to shock level until you have finished the process as evidenced by clear water, a CC of 0.5 or less, and holding to within 1 ppm or less of FC loss overnight.

17. Back To Top    #17

I assume I should keep my pump running 24/7 until the shocking process is complete?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by GuinnessPhish
    I assume I should keep my pump running 24/7 until the shocking process is complete?
    Yes, it is recommended that the pump run 24/7 during the shock process.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

There are a few small leaves floating around in my pump strainer basket. Could these be causing the high chlorine usage? Should I empty that basket, even though it's just a tiny bit of debris in there?

20. Back To Top    #20

The leaves aren't causing the large chlorine loss, but go ahead and remove them because they are a small factor at this point. Best to get all debris out of the water, the shocking process will go faster without them.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast