Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much will that hurt my kids

1. Back To Top    #1

Too much will that hurt my kids

i have 15 /42 pool put 38 fluid ounces of algae guard into pool water too much will that hurt my kids what should i do

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Too much will that hurt my kids

Hi amyherrera

Welcome to TFP

By a "15/42" pool, do you mean dimensions (length & width) of 15 feet by 42 feet? To properly dose any chemical, you need to know how many gallons of water are in your pool. The dimensions are one input in determining water volume and the average depth is another. Here's a site that I have found to be helpful in determining the pool water volume and it covers most pool designs: http://www.poolandspachemicals.co.uk/volcalc.htm. Once the water volume is known, then follow the dosing instructions on the label. If you just dosed by "eye-balling" it without knowing how many gallons of water are in the pool, then it is hard to say if what you put in is too much. This applies to any chemical, not just algaecides.

With all of that said, algaecides are generally not needed in a pool if it is properly chlorinated according to your CYA level. One exception to this guideline is if you will be out of town and the pool will be unattended. You still need to make sure it is chlorinated, but a 60% Polyquat-based algaecide can be used in that situation to provide some extra defense against algae. The active ingredient for a Polyquat-based algaecide is: poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]. Look for a 60% concentration of that ingredient.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you know how many gallons it holds?

Chances are it's fine to swim in.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Hi amyherrera

Welcome to TFP

By a "15/42" pool, do you mean dimensions (length & width) of 15 feet by 42 feet? To properly dose any chemical, you need to know how many gallons of water are in your pool. The dimensions are one input in determining water volume and the average depth is another. Here's a site that I have found to be helpful in determining the pool water volume and it covers most pool designs: http://www.poolandspachemicals.co.uk/volcalc.htm. Once the water volume is known, then follow the dosing instructions on the label. If you just dosed by "eye-balling" it without knowing how many gallons of water are in the pool, then it is hard to say if what you put in is too much. This applies to any chemical, not just algaecides.

With all of that said, algaecides are generally not needed in a pool if it is properly chlorinated according to your CYA level. One exception to this guideline is if you will be out of town and the pool will be unattended. You still need to make sure it is chlorinated, but a 60% Polyquat-based algaecide can be used in that situation to provide some extra defense against algae. The active ingredient for a Polyquat-based algaecide is: poly [oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride]. Look for a 60% concentration of that ingredient.
    15/42 probably means 15' diameter round with 42" walls.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

5. Back To Top    #5

amyherrera:

Since the term "15/42" has been interpreted in alternate ways by different members, it is all the more reason to post a bit more details on your pool. Your signature is the best place to do this since it will automatically appear on all of your posts. Here are some suggestions on what we need in order to provide the best possible answers: http://www.troublefreepool.com/what-...ns-t10341.html
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.