Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unsafe to swim in a new pool before treating it?

1. Back To Top    #1

Unsafe to swim in a new pool before treating it?

I started filling my brand new pool, yesterday, and it looks like it's going to be finished at some point, today. My kids have been chomping at the bit ever since we told them we were getting a pool, and now that's it's practically here, they can think of nothing else. Hard to blame them, since it's over 100F and humid as **** right now...

Anyway, my new-pool orientation isn't until tomorrow when the pool-guy comes out, turns everything on, shows me how to work it, and treats it for the first time. I'm wondering if it would be safe to let the family enjoy a dip in the pool before then.
    In-ground pebble tech pool and spa. Cartridge filter pump. Chlorine sterilization. In-floor cleaning. Waterfall. Spa jets. Jandy pumps. Jandy Colors lights. Jandy control box with iLink PDA v3.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Unsafe to swim in a new pool before treating it?

What size (gallons) is it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It's roughly 15,000gal.
    In-ground pebble tech pool and spa. Cartridge filter pump. Chlorine sterilization. In-floor cleaning. Waterfall. Spa jets. Jandy pumps. Jandy Colors lights. Jandy control box with iLink PDA v3.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Put in one small (96 oz) of Clorox bleach for sanitation and go swimming. This will get consumed each day so put a new one in each day until your pool guy comes out.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are going to use BBB methods with your pool, be sure you know what the PB uses in his startup kit and that you don't end up with metals- based algaecide or too much conditioner.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I tested the water with a litmus strip, and it measures about 8 on the Ph level. Is that too high to be safe, even with the bleach?

7. Back To Top    #7

You'd let them in the bathtub filled with the same water, wouldn't you?

The water won't affect the kids as much as the kids will affect the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Fill in the Blank
    I tested the water with a litmus strip, and it measures about 8 on the Ph level. Is that too high to be safe, even with the bleach?
    Well those are pretty inaccurate, but 8 PH isn't unsafe. PH doesn't really make a pool safe or unsafe, it has more to do with keeping your pump system from corroding. Although if your PH is really bad, it can cause irritation. But 8 isn't really bad.
    11,700 gallon 21' round 54" deep all-resin AGP - June 2012
    Waterway 1HP 2-speed pump / 100 sq ft cartridge filter
    Hayward 150,000btu Natural Gas heater
    I use and recommend the TF-100 for testing

9. Back To Top    #9

sWIM, it's just a big bathtub. Add some chlorine like the water treatment plant does. It will burn off without CYA but enjoy!
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

yip, dump a couple of litres of plain bleach into it and swim on! a pH of 8 is a 'bit' uncomfortable for the eye and skin which is 7.5, but if that's your source water, like Richard320 says, they bathe in that water source anyway.

Stu
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC