Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lil Piles of Sand in deep end

1. Back To Top    #1

Lil Piles of Sand in deep end

After running pump for hrs I get lil piles of sand all over the deep end forming

I used to have a 1.5hp motor and switched to a 2hp recently Found it used from a local pool guy here

Is this 2hp blowing sand you think??
    18x36 ig Vinyl 26000 gal
    30 Jandy Sand Filter
    2hp Pentair Challenger
    Hayward Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lil Piles of Sand in deep end

Way too much pump. You only want a 3/4 or 1 HP pump/impeller.

You are pushing more water than the filter's lateral assembly can handle, creating pressures inside that push the sand through them. Given its age, you may even have broken a lateral or the up pipe as a result.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

ditto Scott's post, the pump has to not exceed the flow rate of the filter or else pressure becomes too high, blowing sand, you will be lucky if you haven't cracked some laterals in your filter, put a smaller pump back on, if not immediately possible, slow down your pump or reduce flow by partially closing your valves before the pump and monitor the pressure on the multiport pressure valve.
    Stuart Murray
    Scotland UK
    UK NPPOC

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Stuamurr
    ditto Scott's post, the pump has to not exceed the flow rate of the filter or else pressure becomes too high, blowing sand, you will be lucky if you haven't cracked some laterals in your filter, put a smaller pump back on, if not immediately possible, slow down your pump or reduce flow by partially closing your valves before the pump and monitor the pressure on the multiport pressure valve.
    Pressure becomes too high My pressure is good Stays the same as before
    18x36 ig Vinyl 26000 gal
    30 Jandy Sand Filter
    2hp Pentair Challenger
    Hayward Chlorinator

5. Back To Top    #5

I have the same issue. I replaced my laterals and standpipe but still have the issue. What else could cause this?
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by 94SupraTT
    I have the same issue. I replaced my laterals and standpipe but still have the issue. What else could cause this?

this is getting good My 2hp motor is fine..... I called the local Motor place in my city and the guy happens to be a pool guy in the business for 30+ years and he says that it's not my motor and it's my Filter.

so when I saw your reply I had to chuckle I'm preying it's not my filter Because I don't know how I would get in there to change those laterals (Going to be fun)

I'm willing to bet it is the motor though
    18x36 ig Vinyl 26000 gal
    30 Jandy Sand Filter
    2hp Pentair Challenger
    Hayward Chlorinator