Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: About to Hard Pipe My Pool and Im Stuck. I need Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

About to Hard Pipe My Pool and Im Stuck. I need Help!

Currently my Hayward 1.5hp pump is connected to the return and skimmer by flex pipes. I didnt install this pool but whoever did cut corners on it. Over the last month my flex pipes have been cracking and leaking I assume from age and the stress thats put on them.

The other day I got everything I needed to hard pipe everything with 1 1/2 PVC. Well at least I thought I did.

I was going to start on the return first. I have a salt water system with the Turbocell T-5 which is pictured below. I noticed that it only has a connector where you can attach flex tube. I dont have anything that I can use that will allow me to use PVC. The issue is I have no idea what I need to buy so I can allow a connection to 1 1/2 PVC.

Can you guys help me out? Would one of you know what I need to get? Is this a custom piece that I need to get at a pool store? I would love if this is something I could by at lowes. I would love to get this done today. My flex pipes are a ticking time bomb right now.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to Hard Pipe My Pool and Im Stuck. I need Help!

The screw on connectors on either end of the T-5 come in two versions, barbed connections for flex pipe, and slip/glued connections for rigid pipe. The one in the picture above has the slip/glued connections. The connectors used to connect to the T-5 are unique to the Hayward SWGs, but are fairly common. I would expect a fair percentage of pool stores to carry them, but you are unlikely to find them at a place like Lowes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I don't have one of those cells but it is a stretch to think they only make them for flex. Go to Lowe's and take your cell with you......they'll help you fit it right up.

(from the pic, it looks like half-unions with a 1.5" slip fitting but that probably isn't a picture of your cell.)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok I removed my salt cell so I could take some pics and also to bring to lowes with me.

See below

This is what Im talking about. I need to replace this with something that will allow me to connect a 1 1/2 pvc

5. Back To Top    #5

Those end pieces look like that may each be half of a standard union fitting, so you might be able to find a pair and salvage for mating parts.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks to me that they are unions but you may need to buy for a larger Sch40 pipe and use adapters. That union looks to be at least a 3 inch. Take you unit with you to test for fit. You may need a HD Supply of other commercial parts warehouse. Lowes and HD don't always have the larger fittings.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I took my cell to lowes yesterday but they didnt have anything that worked. Luckily i drove past a pool store that was open and they had the part i needed.

See pic blow.

Thanks guys for your help.