Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tear in liner!

1. Back To Top    #1

Tear in liner!

Please help! We have a 2-3" tear in the bottom of our pool liner. We have tried several different repair kits and none are working. What are we doing wrong? Does anyone have experience with a kit that works?

30,000 gals
    Sand Filter
    IG, Vinyl
    South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Tear in liner!

Boxer is highly recommended. You need to use plenty of glue, fold the patch in half with the glue in the middle, unfold it underwater right next to the tear and apply immediately, smooth out any wrinkles and then hold it in place (perhaps with a swim weight or something similar) until the glue starts to set (not all that long but long enough that holding your breath is problematic). You also need to make sure that there is more than an inch overlap beyond the tear.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Tear in liner!

Thanks Jason for the info. I have a tear that is J shaped right at my water line. I purchased the repair kit our pool store had (threw the box away so unsure of brand). Even following their directions I was lost.

I have had to patch two or three times as the patch eventually comes off. Tear has been there 2 or 3 weeks now. Instructions said use glue sparingly. I will use more glue next time and hold a bit longer and see if that helps.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit