Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I put in R-0011L, the sample turns a little bit pink

1. Back To Top    #1

I put in R-0011L, the sample turns a little bit pink

I tested CH in my pool. When I put in R-0011L, the sample turns a little bit pink. However, I added about 30 drops of R-0012, there is no change in color (it remains clear with a little bit pink). Is it no CH or too much CH?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I put in R-0011L, the sample turns a little bit pink

That means CH is over 300. Around 300 is a normal level, so it might be normal or it might be too high depending on just how much over 300 it is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Per the instructions, after adding R-0011L, "if calcium hardness is present, the sample will turn red". In my case, the sample didn't turn red. It's just a bit pink (similar to 0.2 FC in chlorine test). As I said, I added 30 drops of R-0012 and the color didn't change. I thought it's no CH. I'm still adding calcium

4. Back To Top    #4

Anything kind of red, like pink, counts as red. The exact color you see will vary depending on things like the FC level. If it turns blue right away, or anything similar to blue, then CH is zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I just went to Leslie's to have my water tested. The CH is low (<100). Is my test kit bad or their test is not good (they use test strip to test CH)? I'm using K-2006.

6. Back To Top    #6

Their test is not as good.

Try using 10 ml sample. 10 drops of R-0010, 5 drops R-0011, and then each drop of R-0012 is 25 ppm. The color should be deeper this way, easier to see the change. You'll probably be safe putting the first 5 drops in at once and swirl it for a minute, then swirl about that long for each additional drop. You're looking for sky blue, not purple. Something like this ?????
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

A speedstir is a huge help with this test....but not a must. Try the test again making 100% sure you add 20 drops of R-0010