Filter System Exposed To The Weather

May 27, 2011
I have seen pictures of pools with all filtering systems,pump motors,sand filter tanks and all pvc pipes, exposed to the weather,or uncovered. If it is ok to let all systems be uncovered will someone please tell me. It seems that the elements will damage all these things. I really don't know. These things cost so much money,but if it is unnecessary to cover them then I won't bother with it. I sure do thank you if I can get any answer. THANKS.

All pool equipment is designed for exposure to the elements. The elements will eventually take the toll. Some of us cover the equipment with shade cloth, build enclosures around it, or install it indoors, or in pool houses etc.

Fiberglass filter enclosures have a tendency to get very rough on the outside, which can be very irritating to the skin, but they still hold water pressure.

Most f the better pool builders will paint the pipes with UV Resistant Paint.

Thanks elwood58. I'll just leave mine uncovered and don't wory about it. I do know of equipment of friends just as you said.Their equipment is ok after some years of exposure. Just didn't know. THANKS.

I'm new to pools and have had the same thoughts. My Mom just had to buy all new equipment (heater, pump, filter, salt cell, Caretaker), and I'm wondering how to protect her investment. We live in FL and she runs the pool year round. I don't see any of the neighbors cover their equipment. What are the options? Here is what I've seen on the Internet.

*A whole system enclosure

*An awning that would attach to the house and cover all the equipment

*Individual covers which seem mostly designed for winter shutdown.

I think these things provide protection from UV rays and heat but also need to allow the operational heat of the units to dissipate. It would seem safe to cover a filter and salt cell that are in use with some sort of fabric since they don't generate heat. A cover for the heater would obviously need to be removed when its in use like a bbq.

I came across the following cover for the motor which can be left in place.
http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pumps-a ... 38605.html

Does it make sense to even bother? Though we cover the bbq grill why not these? The heater was all corroded from the inside, burner tray, heat exchanger. Probably a result of bad water chemistry and not really the weather. The outside was ok. Not sure about the pump. It was a Sta-Rite and I think it had holes in the metal housing around the motor that seemed like weather could get in. It was smoking so had to go. The new Hayward EcoStar VSP doesn't seem to have any holes. The old Sta-Rite cartridge filter that looked like a black R2-D2 was made out of plastic was still ok however the clamping ring didn't really hold very tight. Salt cell plastic was cracked and leaking but was lucky to get 8 years out of a cell. Caretaker guts needed to be replaced but outside housing is still ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.