Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach pouring tip

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach pouring tip

Many of you may have already discovered this, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

When you take the cap off a bottle of bleach there's a safety seal. If you don't poke the hole just right in that seal the bleach just blub, blub, blubs out rather than pour smoothly. Ever experienced that? If you poke a hole in the seal on the side opposite the handle with a screwdriver or knife, then stick your thumb into it and back toward the handle, most of the seal will be out of the way of the stream and the liquid pours more freely without the splattering and such.

Try it ... you might like the technique!
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

2. Back To Top    #2

I just open the bottle under the pool water, that way any splash goes right into the water.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

3. Back To Top    #3

if you take the seal completely off rather than poking holes in it, it should pour just fine as well.
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

4. Back To Top    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sredish
    if you take the seal completely off rather than poking holes in it, it should pour just fine as well.
    Yep, that's what I do, too. 8)
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    or you guys could throw them in the air and then shoot them down. hopeing they fall in the water, thats how i do it. am i doing it wrong????

6. Back To Top    #6
    wait, what? OPEN the bottle? Oh. I took it kinda literally when I was told to toss a bottle of bleach in the water. I now have 6 or 7 of them sitting in the deep end. Is this a bad thing?
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

OK OK . . . I get it . . old habits are hard to break!
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

8. Back To Top    #8
    clorox doesn't have the extra seal, and even more so they are designed to flow quickly.

the bottles that do have the seal can be a pain, but if you really want the bleach to flow faster, take a pocket knife with you and stab a hole into the bottle (or 2 or 3 holes) and it will help the air to enter through the holes allowing just liquid to have to exit through the mouth of the bottle.
    30,000gal In-ground Gunite Pool DE filter
    Polaris 380 APC

BBB method all the way - Newb, like to absorb info and chatter, but take the experts' advise

9. Back To Top    #9

I am going to try the shooting them down method personally. Starting right................................NOW!

PULL!!!

steve

Above Ground / 18' Round / Vinyl Liner / Sand Filter / 100K Gas Heater / Salt Added / No Nature2

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by IkeRay
    clorox doesn't have the extra seal, and even more so they are designed to flow quickly.
    Yes they flow quickly, especially if one topples over in your trunk when coming back from the store... I ruined the carpet in my trunk that way.
    14X24 ig vinyl pool 3ft-4 1/2ft deep - 7000 gal
    Aqua Genie skimmer and return - no main drain, 1 hp hayward pump, 27" Hayward filter with Zeobrite,
    Aqua Logic P4 controller + SWG, 2 lights
    192 square feet of solar panels controlled by P4, 5KW electric heater (just in case...)