Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: REMINDER...Do Not Mix Chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

REMINDER...Do Not Mix Chemicals

Unfortunately, I was recently able to witness the effects of mixing pool chemicals together. I responded to a call for help that was caused by mixing Calcium Hypoclorite (Cal Hypo) and Black Algaecide- Trichloroisocyanuric Acid(Trichlor?) together. I do not know if water was introduced to the two powders that were mixed together in a bucket. My guess is that the powders were mixed dry, and then water was added to them. The result was explosive.

The person who mixed them had chemical burns on his face, chest, eyes and inhalation injuries to his lungs. He was transported to a local emergency room and that is all I know of his condition.

This is just a reminder to be careful with your pool chemicals. Never mix with other chemicals, unless the label directs you to do so. I don't know if that is ever necessary. Anyway, read the label carefully and wear eye protection.

It is easy to become complacent when you get used to using chemicals. I always knew that the chemicals are hazardous, but it is different to actually see the results first hand. I just wanted to pass along the safety reminder. Hopefully it might save someone on the forum from experiencing their own "first hand experience".
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: REMINDER...Do Not Mix Chemicals

Results can be very nasty. Thanks for the reminder to everyone.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

An example of what happens when Trichlor is mixed with Cal-Hypo is shown in this video.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    An example of what happens when Trichlor is mixed with Cal-Hypo is shown in this video.

Thanks for the video. I showed it to the guys at work.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

WOW.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

6. Back To Top    #6

Is this info in a sticky somewhere? Anyone else besides me think it should be if it isn't? I know I've read this before, but that video really drove the point home.

(I just have the "new posts" link bookmarked, sorry if I've missed a sticky)
    Intex Ultra Frame 18' X 48" 7600 +/- gallons
    Columbia 50 LB sand filter/ HP pump, $$ WELL spent(2nd best thing bought for the pool)
    Virginia Beach, VA
    TF100 test kit- Money WELL spent (best thing I've ever bought for the pool)
    Leisure bay hot tub

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS add the chemical to water............ NEVER add water to the chemical.
    "When your pool is sick, call the doctor, I make house calls"
    One stop pool shop, I do everything but install them. 9+ years of experience.