Are Happy Bottom and Pre-formed Coves Worth the Cost?

Jul 21, 2012
Oops, I posted this question in the pool start up forum. I didn't see that there is a specific forum for above ground pools. My question is whether it is worth the extra expense to install a cove and Happy Bottom. We live in the high desert of southern California. We have sandy soil and no rocks to speak of. We've been told that we'll need at least 2 inches of sand under the pool regardless of whether we use the cove and Happy Bottom. Our budget is very tight so I prefer not to waste the money if sand would work just as well. Please advise on whether these products are worth buying or not? Thank you.

As Bama stated they are not required but I just installed a 24 ft last weekend and I feel they were well worth the extra cost. I installed a foam cove and the consistency of the product lead to a very nice finished product. I also installed a armor guard liner protector which is similar to the Happy Bottom. We had a intex before we upgraded and I felt the sand and rocks through the pool all the time, with the liner protector we now have a nice smooth and soft under foot pool floor.

Good luck on your purchase!!

The first two seasons my floor was very smooth. This year I'm noticing many more beveled spots, I'm thinking some of it is roots and in other spots maybe the sand has shifted a little bit. No big deal at all, but it would be really nice to have a perfectly smooth floor (or closer to it).

You might want to consider using extruded polystyrene insulation board on your bottom, it work's great for me at around the same cost of the happy bottom with no divots in the sand to show up. I used foam cove with it.

The liner armor or happy bottom can also help prevent beetles that may get in there and damage your liner. Not sure if it's an issue where you are but something you might want to check on. Coves aren't necessary but they sure are nice to have.

Thank you Linen and Christian. If money was no object, I would definitely go with the extruded polystyrene you suggested. Home Depot seems to carry only the 1/2" and it costs over $13 per sheet. We don't have any bugs here to speak of. My main purpose in adding the foam would be to keep the pool warm longer and to protect the liner from any little rocks that might work through the sand. We have some cheap 1" foam that was used as furniture packing. I don't suppose that would hold up very well as it crumbles easily. A lady at a local pool supply store told me that she used sand and a tarp under her pool. She said it worked fine and she didn't regret not buying the Happy Bottom. I'm thinking of going that route.

One more question: I'm wondering if there is a big difference between regular and high density foam coves. Our local pool supply stores don't carry the foam coves so I can't go and look at it. The cheapest place to buy it seems to be on Ebay. None of the Ebay listings state whether it is regular or high density. Some cove is blue and others are white. I read somewhere that the high density foam is white. Do you think it would be a safe bet to just purchase white cove and hope it is good enough? Our pool is a 15 x 30 ft. oval. Thank you.

We have happy bottom... it doesn't make me happy. It buckled in a few places when they put it in so there are ridges. It also doesn't help that they missed a rock or something that is between the happy bottom and the liner. It was a last minute change from the Gorilla pad I had ordered because they didn't have my pool in stock. I'm frustrated with it, but not enough to drain 21k of water... so, in my opinion, I wish I'd skipped it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I dont have pads or cove and don't miss it in the least. The sand was coved to the edges so no need for that for me. My pool is dished at the bottom so sand was all i needed. I dunno, I dont go into a pool to walk around. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.