Did I just break my water heater???!!!!

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
Ugh....

Pool newb here, just got everything under control as far as understanding daily chemical maintenance with chlorine, etc....

Previous owner told me he kept pump on 24/7, but after reading here that wasn't necessary, and seeing my electric bill, I've been shutting the pump off for about half the day. I've been having to prime my pump every time I restart it, so I've ordered a silicone gel to put on the o -ring of the strainer basket, to see if that solves the problem of my pump losing prime when I shut it off.

I never turned my heater off over these last few days, and just now noticed that the display is blank. I tried turning it off and on again....nothing...

looked at the circuit breaker in the basement, but it hasn't tripped.

I've turned off the gas supply, to be safe, and turned the heater off, even though the display doesn't work even if it's turned on.

So...if my heater was on, and the pump lost prime, that means there was no water in the heater while it was on(?), which means.....I've just broken the heater?

The pool water was around 87 lately, so I actually had the thermostat set at 80, and I don't think the water would have gotten below that temp....

Not sure where to begin here....did I just screw my heater bad?

Ideally no to both. The heater should have a flow switch which stops the heating cycle if flow falls too low. You don't have to turn the gas off to it unless its being serviced or you have a leak. I would test the heater by shutting off the pump while it's on and make sure it goes off. If it does then I would periodically check that function ( monthly, seasonally?) if you are really not trusting it, I would have a service technician give it a good going over to test the safety functions specifically.

My heater is tied into my automation and is cut off by that. Do you have automation?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.