Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TF 100 testing question

1. Back To Top    #1

TF 100 testing question

When performing the various tests that require the water to turn clear or a particular color, is the test accomplished when any change in color of the water is detected or do you continue to add drops until the solid unmistakeable color is achieved?
    16 X 32 Vinyl. Hayward aqua rite salt system, T -15 cell. Hayward H250 gas heater, Hayward 1HP superpump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TF 100 testing question

Quote Originally Posted by jonmar
    When performing the various tests that require the water to turn clear or a particular color, is the test accomplished when any change in color of the water is detected or do you continue to add drops until the solid unmistakeable color is achieved?
    Add until it stops changing, then subtract one.

Let's say TA is 100. At 8 drops, it will probably look grey. At 9 it will be pinkish. At 10 it will be Barbie pink. At 11 it doesn't change. Deduct 1. 10 drops = 100 ppm.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for that Richard .. I've been struggling with the same issue -- I add drops, and I'm never positive that my eyes aren't playing tricks on me as the colors change, or don't .. I'm always second guessing as I add and approach that magical final 'state' of color (clear, or whatever).
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

The TA test on the TF100 can definitely play tricks on the eyes. Our TA stays pretty steady at 100, but my wife always reads it as 90. I've yet to convince her that the right reading is when the color changes to full pink and not just away from green.
    20,000 gal. free-form plaster on concrete
    Triton DE filter, 1.5HP pump
    Aquabot Elite pool cleaner