Proper TA Test Technique

Jul 16, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for the great information on here. I am attempting to follow the recommendations I have read on lowering TA using acid and aeration, but I am not very confident in my readings of TA using the Taylor 2006 kit. I follow the instructions by adding the R-0007, then R-0008 and swirl as I add the R-0009. Now if I keep swirling and keep adding drops pretty quickly, it will turn the whole sample red so I think I have the value. When I stop swirling or if I pause too long between drops, it goes back to green, so I think I have not added enough R-0009. Basically, I am getting readings anywhere between low 200s and high 400s depending on how fast I swirl and add drops.

Could someone help me with technique to get an accurate measurement?

Thanks,
Todd

Welcome to TFP!

The color should turn red and stay red for at least 15 seconds while swirling. If it blinks read for a second or two, that doesn't count.

If you aren't already, I recommend wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp tissue ever few drops. Otherwise there is a chance for static electricity to build up on the tip and skew the results.

Thanks for clarifying. After retesting, I think the TA really is coming down and PH is rising as the other posts described. I'm glad to have some degree of confidence in what I am doing. The Pool Calculator has taken the guesswork out of this which is a huge blessing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.