Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper TA Test Technique

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper TA Test Technique

Thanks for the great information on here. I am attempting to follow the recommendations I have read on lowering TA using acid and aeration, but I am not very confident in my readings of TA using the Taylor 2006 kit. I follow the instructions by adding the R-0007, then R-0008 and swirl as I add the R-0009. Now if I keep swirling and keep adding drops pretty quickly, it will turn the whole sample red so I think I have the value. When I stop swirling or if I pause too long between drops, it goes back to green, so I think I have not added enough R-0009. Basically, I am getting readings anywhere between low 200s and high 400s depending on how fast I swirl and add drops.

Could someone help me with technique to get an accurate measurement?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Proper TA Test Technique

Welcome to TFP!

The color should turn red and stay red for at least 15 seconds while swirling. If it blinks read for a second or two, that doesn't count.

If you aren't already, I recommend wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp tissue ever few drops. Otherwise there is a chance for static electricity to build up on the tip and skew the results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Proper TA Test Technique

Thanks for clarifying. After retesting, I think the TA really is coming down and PH is rising as the other posts described. I'm glad to have some degree of confidence in what I am doing. The Pool Calculator has taken the guesswork out of this which is a huge blessing.